Trying to move the entire SQL install to another drive

• i never understood this thing of having a tiny c drive and installing every app on d

some people watch too much Monk

• The problem of installing everything on the system drive is that W2003 behaves as though it owns everything on the drive. A Windows Admin person has told me there have been past situations where a W2003 update has changed file permissions and other data on the system drive that messed up other applications installed on C:

If your Windows people say they don't like anything else on the sytem drive apart from Windows, it is as much for your own protection as their convenience.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• I dont think you can avoid using space on C: even if you have specified another drive for each component. The .NET framework components will go to C: and you dont seem to have any choice in that matter.

Further, when you install SP2 this will also use C: (estimate : 800 -1200 MB).

Sorry but I dont know of a way around this.

• My company has the same policy about not installing to the C drive. I had to do a quick install to a test server and noticed that the installer doesn't ask for an installation location during the normal flow of windows. I assume that this option is found using the "Advanced" button on the "Components to Install" screen. I'll find out for sure when we build another test server in the next few weeks. I would appreciate any insights about installing to drives other the C drive. Thanks! 🙂

• Kenneth,

If I understand this correctly, you have backed up your system and user db's and re-installed the sql server files to go unto your d: and then you said you still noticed X amount of space on your c: relevant to your sql files.

If that is my understanding then the answer to that question is sql server un-install does not remove the files from the old directories. Once you have confirmed the new install location and that your system databases are referencing it then you can manually remove the c:\program files\microsoft\sql server etc...

As a precautionary measure I would use the backup utility from the windows system to back up that directory you are deleting (Just in case for a weird phenomenon ) 😀

• Once you have confirmed the new install location and that your system databases are referencing it then you can manually remove the c:\program files\microsoft\sql server

Don't do this unless you want SQL Server to break.

If you uninstall SQL Server from C:, it is safe to tidy up folders on the C: drive while SQL is not installed. After you re-install SQL Server, anything that is placed on C: is needed.

The SQL Server install will always place certain files on the C: drive, regardless of which drive you specify for the main program folders. The initial installation will add about 600 MB to C:, SP2 will add another 800 MB, and each post-SP2 CU update will add about another 500 MB. Most of this goes into the GAC, but some is spread around other folders.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• I stand corrected. I was not aware of that, I apologize in advance. Learn something new everyday.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply