trying to return data with only the latest date

• when i run this i get data for the last day. i'm trying to get it to return only for the latest date.

for example the instance name column contains all the drive letters. i would like it to return one row for each machinename and drive letter. tried adding distinct but didn't work

with free_hd_space_cte

as

(

select a.counterid, substring(a.machinename,3,20) as machinename, a.objectname, a.countername, a.instancename, b.countervalue, convert(datetime, substring(b.counterdatetime,1, 16)) as TimeRead

from counterdetails a inner join counterdata b

on a.counterid = b.counterid

where b.counterid in (select CounterID

from counterdetails

where objectname = 'logicaldisk'

and countername in ('Free Megabytes', '% Free Space')

and instancename != '_Total')

and convert(datetime, substring(b.counterdatetime,1, 19)) > getdate() -1

group by a.machinename, a.instancename, a.counterid, a.objectname, a.countername,b.countervalue, b.counterdatetime

--order by a.machinename, a.instancename, a.counterid

)

select MachineName, free_hd_space_cte.ObjectName, free_hd_space_cte.CounterName, free_hd_space_cte.InstanceName, free_hd_space_cte.CounterValue, max(TimeRead) as TimeRead

from free_hd_space_cte

group by MachineName, ObjectName, CounterName, InstanceName, CounterValue, timeread

• Please provide some sample data to play with.

The best way to post sample data is described in the first link in my signature.

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• you may be able to do it using "row_number" with "partition" by drive and "order" by date in descending order, then filter out those items that are not 1 in the row_number column.

as SSCrazy said, with test data to play with, this can be easier for all of us.

• Alright, I have no idea if the data I created is representative of what you have. After playing for a bit, I think it's a simple bit of changing this line:

and convert(datetime, substring(b.counterdatetime,1, 19)) > getdate() -1

to this:

and b.counterdatetime in (select max(counterdatetime) from counterdata group by counterid)

Let me know if that was close.

And the example from which I was working:

--Sample data code made possible by inspiration from (and blatant plagiarism of) Jeff Moden... thanks, Jeff!

/* This guy is going to allow us to have multiple values for the same counter id later on*/

if object_id('tempdb..#seq')is not null drop table #seq

select * into #seq from (

select 1 as num union select 2 union select 3 union select 4 union select 5 union select 6 union select 7 union select 8 union select 9 union select 10 union

select 11 union select 12 union select 13 union select 14 union select 15 union select 16 union select 17 union select 18 union select 19 union select 20

)a

/*This is, to the best of what I could figure out, a good sample for your detail table*/

if object_id('tempdb..#counterdetails')is not null DROP TABLE #counterdetails

select counterid = IDENTITY(INT,1,1),* INTO dbo.#counterdetails from (

SELECT TOP 10

machinename = CHAR(ABS(CHECKSUM(NEWID()))%26+65)+ CHAR(ABS(CHECKSUM(NEWID()))%26+65)+ CHAR(ABS(CHECKSUM(NEWID()))%26+65)+ CHAR(ABS(CHECKSUM(NEWID()))%26+65),

objectname = 'logicaldisk',

countername = 'Free Megabytes',

instancename = CHAR(ABS(CHECKSUM(NEWID()))%26+65)+ CHAR(ABS(CHECKSUM(NEWID()))%26+65)+ CHAR(ABS(CHECKSUM(NEWID()))%26+65)+ CHAR(ABS(CHECKSUM(NEWID()))%26+65)

FROM Master.dbo.SysColumns t1,

Master.dbo.SysColumns t2

union all

SELECT TOP 10

machinename = CHAR(ABS(CHECKSUM(NEWID()))%26+65)+ CHAR(ABS(CHECKSUM(NEWID()))%26+65)+ CHAR(ABS(CHECKSUM(NEWID()))%26+65)+ CHAR(ABS(CHECKSUM(NEWID()))%26+65),

objectname = 'logicaldisk',

countername = '% Free Space',

instancename = CHAR(ABS(CHECKSUM(NEWID()))%26+65)+ CHAR(ABS(CHECKSUM(NEWID()))%26+65)+ CHAR(ABS(CHECKSUM(NEWID()))%26+65)+ CHAR(ABS(CHECKSUM(NEWID()))%26+65)

Master.dbo.SysColumns t2

)as dtable

/*And this is for the data table*/

if object_id('tempdb..#counterdata')is not null drop table #counterdata

select top 20

counterid = 1,

counterdatetime = CAST(RAND(CHECKSUM(NEWID()))*3653.0+36524.0 AS DATETIME),

countervalue = ABS(CHECKSUM(NEWID()))%50000+1

INTO dbo.#counterdata

Master.dbo.SysColumns t2

,#seq

/* This piece just creates more data for each counterid using our #seq table from earlier*/

insert into #counterdata (counterid,counterdatetime,countervalue)

select num,CAST(RAND(CHECKSUM(NEWID()))*3653.0+36524.0 AS DATETIME),countervalue

FROM #counterdata,#seq

/* Below here is a slightly modified version of your query, just trying to make things easier on myelf */

select MachineName, ObjectName, CounterName, InstanceName, CounterValue, max(TimeRead) as TimeRead

from

(

select a.counterid, substring(a.machinename,3,20) as machinename, a.objectname, a.countername, a.instancename, b.countervalue

, /*convert(datetime, substring(*/b.counterdatetime/*,1, 16))*/ as TimeRead

from #counterdetails a inner join #counterdata b

on a.counterid = b.counterid

where b.counterid in

(

select CounterID

from #counterdetails

where objectname = 'logicaldisk'

and countername in ('Free Megabytes', '% Free Space')

and instancename != '_Total'

)

--and convert(datetime, substring(b.counterdatetime,1, 19)) > getdate() -1

and b.counterdatetime in (select max(counterdatetime) from #counterdata group by counterid)

group by a.machinename, a.instancename, a.counterid, a.objectname, a.countername,b.countervalue, b.counterdatetime

--order by a.machinename, a.instancename, a.counterid

)as derivedtable

group by MachineName, ObjectName, CounterName, InstanceName, CounterValue, timeread

• the data is the ODBC tables that perfmon creates when you set it to log to a database rather than a file

thx, going to play with some of the advice here. i got it to filter out a lot of dupes, but still get some

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply