Trying to understand Access

• I'm new to SQL and i'm trying to learn to do Inner and outer joins, unions, and subqueries, but the Access syntax is different from the non-junky code my book covers. Looking at the crap Access generates frustrates me.  What can i do?

I really need to be able to test these queries out without just doing them in my head.

thanks!

• do you have some examples?

MVDBA

• You can install sql server and do your queries there... or you could simply let access generate the queries with the wizard and ignore its sql altogether.

R u doing this in part of a course, personal satisfaction?

• Don't know what kind of crappy code Access is generating for you that is different from your non-junky book, but inner and outer joins, union queries and most sub-queries will be the exactly same as SQL Server.

What I would do is build your Access queries from your book examples in "SQL" view. It's possible that you are not building the Access queries correctly and therefore getting bad results.

You will find that each database system builds on the existing standards. For example, SQL Server's T-SQL is not exactly the same as Oracle's PL-SQL. The basics are the the same, but each has some added features.

Aunt Kathi Data Platform MVP
    Author of Expert T-SQL Window Functions
    Simple-Talk Editor

• Thanks guys. I figured it out. Part of the problem was trying to build the queries from Design view and then changing them. But when i found the SQL view i was able to do my own from scratch AFTER i fixed a few typos.

Thanks again!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply