TSQL and CLR

• Forgive me if I'm wrong or naive but I just spent 30 minutes reading and trying some examples writing TSQL using C# and CLR. My first reaction is: This is like driving from Ft. Worth to Dallas via Chicago, I got there but it took considerably longer than needed. Am I missing something or is this all hype?

dab

• What problem(s) were you trying to solve with c# that you couldn't solve with tsql?

• None. That's the problem. CLR has been widely touted so I thought I try a few examples. My previous post was just a rant against CLR: wrong tool/solution.

• I haven't experienced with it yet... But I guess it can help if you've written class in .net that you need to use on the server. But I don't see that coming soon in my case.

• With Sql server 2005, you can write your procedures in CLR apart from TSQL. But saying that, its always recommended to write your regular DML statements in TSQL.

I have used a CLR procedure for a particular scenario, like in my stored proc i wanted to generate a Excel file and also consume a web service, so in this case CLR stored procedure proves handy

Regards,
    Sudheer 

My Blog

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply