Two instances of sqlservr.exe running on single instance server

• SQL2000... Has anyone seen where two instances of sqlservr.exe were running on the same server? It is a clustered server, but I've run in a clustered environment before and not seen two instances running at once. Only one instance of SQL Server was installed on the cluster. If anyone has seen this, do you know what triggered the second .exe to start? Thx!

• With SQL2000 abilities to have named instances, you could have up to 16 sqlserver.exe running.

I have seen a similar occurrence - After I have installed SQL2000 Standard for our product, the network guys have been given back the server and installed Veritas Backup Exec 9. Veritas installs MSDE and the network guys install it as a new SQL instance. Hence two sqlserver.exe running.

As for being a second instance that you did not actually install on the cluster server that's not nice.

I would suggest you check the Application Event log, as SQL2000 at least daily puts an entry in there saying what instance name and what process id is it running as.

Check your Services to see if you have another SQL instance present.

Robert

• You might want to locate both instances of the executables, using a file search.  It should not be possible for two instances of the same SQL Server executable to run concurrently under normal circumstances.  It is likely an MSDE install.

hth

jg

• You can use procexcp.exe from sysinternals ( http://www.sysinternals.com )  and find a thread with name sqlservr.exe.

• Thanks for the help, folks!  Actually, I was quite embarrassed to discover that yes, there actually was a second instance running a small third-party app's database.  I'm new to my company, and I just hadn't been exposed to the third party app yet.  Imagine my embarrassment...  but thanks again!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply