Two queries that should be returning the same # of rows are not returning the same # of rows, how can that be?

• I have two query's here. One is a select statement to verify the # of rows I am going to update, the ohter is the actual update statement. I just copied the from statment from the select statement to the from statment in the update statement and got rid of the alias's. For some reason, the select query is returning 3,267 records, and the update query is returning 3,168 rows. Any ideas on what is causing this. Help would be greatly appreciated.... 🙂

select *

from DOCSADM.PROFILE

join tempdata on docsadm.profile.DOCNUMBER = tempdata.dm

join docsadm.a_file_location on docsadm.a_file_location.location = tempdata.fileloc

where docsadm.profile.A_FILE_LOCATION is null

begin tran

update DOCSADM.PROFILE

set DOCSADM.PROFILE.a_file_location = DOCSADM.A_FILE_LOCATION.system_id

from DOCSADM.PROFILE

join docsadm.a_file_location on docsadm.a_file_location.location = tempdata.fileloc

• The table(s) you aren't updating have more rows than the table you are updating. That's what causes that.

Try this, you'll see what I'm talking about:

CREATE TABLE #T1 (

ID INT IDENTITY PRIMARY KEY,

Col1 CHAR(1));

CREATE TABLE #T2 (

ID INT IDENTITY PRIMARY KEY,

T1ID INT NOT NULL);

INSERT INTO #T1 (Col1)

SELECT 'a';

INSERT INTO #T2 (T1ID)

SELECT 1 UNION ALL

SELECT 1;

SELECT *

FROM #T1 AS T1

INNER JOIN #T2 AS T2

ON T1.ID = T2.T1ID;

UPDATE T1

SET Col1 = 'b'

OUTPUT INSERTED.Col1, INSERTED.ID

FROM #T1 AS T1

INNER JOIN #T2 AS T2

ON T1.ID = T2.T1ID;

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Asha.Richardson-1129890 (2/25/2010)

I have two query's here. One is a select statement to verify the # of rows I am going to update, the ohter is the actual update statement. I just copied the from statment from the select statement to the from statment in the update statement and got rid of the alias's. For some reason, the select query is returning 3,267 records, and the update query is returning 3,168 rows. Any ideas on what is causing this. Help would be greatly appreciated.... 🙂

select *

from DOCSADM.PROFILE

begin tran

update DOCSADM.PROFILE

set DOCSADM.PROFILE.a_file_location = DOCSADM.A_FILE_LOCATION.system_id

from DOCSADM.PROFILE

See the parts I bolded. The issue is in your where statement... once the a_file_location was filled in, it didn't get updated again.

I think this would get the same counts:

select DISTINCT DOCSADM.PROFILE.*

from DOCSADM.PROFILE

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• I am not sure about what you said.... The table I am updating has many more rows than the tables I am not updating..

• To Wayne:

Is my update statement written correctly?

• to Wayne:

Basically, your change worked as long as I put in a few column names, but when i just ran your query, I got this message:

Msg 421, Level 16, State 1, Line 4

The text data type cannot be selected as DISTINCT because it is not comparable.

• Is there a better way to write the select statement to be able to validate the update?

to Wayne:

Basically, your change worked as long as I put in a few column names, but when i just ran your query, I got this message:

Msg 421, Level 16, State 1, Line 4

The text data type cannot be selected as DISTINCT because it is not comparable.

Sounds like you have a column with a text datatype in the column list of your select.

Is my update statement written correctly?

Looks good to me.

Is there a better way to write the select statement to be able to validate the update?

This might work:

;WITH CTE AS

(

select DISTINCT <Primary Key Columns from the DOCSADM.PROFILE table>

from DOCSADM.PROFILE

)

SELECT p1.*

FROM DOCSADM.PROFILE p1

JOIN CTE

ON CTE.PKColumn1 = p1.PKColumn1

AND CTE.PKColumn2 = p1.PKColumn2

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

I am not sure about what you said.... The table I am updating has many more rows than the tables I am not updating..

It's not a question of which has more rows. It's a question of the join math. Add some more rows to #T1 in my sample code, you'll see what I mean.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply