UDF in computed column of Temp table fails

• I have a simple UDF that checks for division by zero errors.

If I create a table and use the UDF in a computed column - all is fine.  It I try to do the EXACT same thing only in a #Temp table, it fails with <Invalid object name 'u_DivisionSafe'.>

I assume that becase #Temps are created in another DB, it cannot find the UDF ata all in my database.

However, even if I specify [MyDBName].[dbo].[MyUDFName] it still fails.

Any help ??

- B

• #temp tables are created in the tempdb and are only available during the current connection.  Something like the following would not work:

begin

create #temp

commit

select * from #temp

From BOL:

Local temporary tables have a single number sign (#) as the first character of their names; they are visible only to the current connection for the user; and they are deleted when the user disconnects from instances of Microsoft® SQL Server™ 2000. Global temporary tables have two number signs (##) as the first characters of their names; they are visible to any user after they are created; and they are deleted when all users referencing the table disconnect from SQL Server.

• it seems you cannot reference a udf in a computed col from any other database not just tempdb. You would have to create the function in tempdb.

i.e - this does not work either:

use pubs

go

create function udf_isblank(@n varchar(20) = null, @ret varchar(20))

returns varchar(20)

as

begin

declare @NULL int

set @NULL =  case when isnull(@n,'') = '' then @ret

else @n

end

return @NULL

end

select pubs.dbo.udf_isblank('',0)

use northwind

go

--drop table test

create table test(

val int,

result as pubs.dbo.udf_isblank(val,0)

)

insert test (val) values(5)

insert test (val) values('')

insert test (val) values(null)

select * from test

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply