Uisng Excessive Triggers

• Hi Guys,

Iam New To SQL Server DBA. My Question is IF we use excessive triggers . the performance of datase we will reduced right. in order to increase the performance. what to do?

Please help me.

• Try to minimize the use of triggers as much as you can.

* Noel

• It depends on what the triggers do and can you replace them with something faster/better without losing important functionality and integrity.

In some cases (a very few), a trigger is the best solution to a problem, if the trigger is well-designed.

Lots of triggers, on the other hand, usually means they are a substitute for foreign key constraints. Check into that.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• There are other alternatives to using triggers.

http://www.mssqltips.com/tip.asp?tip=1381

• About the only thing I use triggers for is for change logging on the key tables. Other than that any business logic is either in the middle layer or stored procedures. Of course if you are allowing changes to be made directly to the tables you may need to use triggers to enforce business logic.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply