UK Date format

• All

I have several offices in the US and Canada plus one in the UK

When My UK users get a report, the date is in the MMDDYYYY format and they are expecting it in the DDMMYYYY format. 

So no problem, just use the sp_defautlanguage procedure and change their language to UK english for my UK users..... 

The problem is that in my sys.syslanguages table, there is only an entry for English....US_English.  This leads me to believe that there is an UK_English entry....just not supplied with my verson.  Now there has to be a way to insert a new row into this table with MDY as the default.....Anyone Know how to do it?

Eric Peterson

• Hello Eric,

There exists only one row indicating "US_English". But for, UK it will be "British English" and the langid is 23.

Can you check once again in the results?

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Lucky

• Lucky

Yes, that was exactly what I was looking for. 

Just didnt see it between the Turkish and Estonian entries.  On an interesting side note, my Irish co-workers are quite offended that it is British, and my English co-workers are offended as well because they think it should be English...

Thanks Again

Eric

• We're awfully picky about our language, you know, I think you would be too if you saw the abomination that is Office sweeping the world and "correcting" perfectly good English spelling and grammar. It's getting so kids these days don't know whether to believe Oxford University Press or Microsoft...

The clue's in the name of the language.

Interesting placement of the UK there, they used to put it in between United States and United States Minor Outlying Islands, which was intensely irritating, obviously the work of some random Yankee imperialist programmer. I actually complained about that. We do still have an empire you know, we own a small rock off the coast of Argentina.

Sold all our infrastructure off to those foreigners mind....

*Harrumph*

EXIT Grumpy old fart mode.

Aside from that - cheers, that solved a problem for me too.

• You know, if we dont allow the English language to grow and change....we would end up like........the French.....LOL

EP

• Oh, absolutely no objection to that old boy, although you have to bear in mind about 30% of English is French anyway. All I'm saying is that it should be controlled by Oxford University, not some jumped up hackers with only the flimsiest knowledge of the subtle nuances of our great and poetic language.

No, half the point of learning English properly is the fact you can lord it over the lower orders because they can't spell properly, Americanisms actually lean too far towards the intellect of the common man with their ridiculous phonetic approach to spelling.

Other objectionable behaviour is the use of z where s is clearly called for - so eroded has my national identity been by Office that I sometimes forget which is which.

Also the word aluminium is exactly that, I can't begin to describe the aural torture which is aluminum - almost as if the speaker is attempting to make their speech patterns more accessible to those of lesser intellectual savvy.

No, sorry, the English language must be preserved, it must be the default installation for all software everywhere, how else is the UK of Britain to retain their innate sense of superiority to all nations? I am only disappointed the onslaught of the default "American English" installation has not yet been met with military force. When are we to return to the golden days when any developer brazen enough to consider "American English" a suitable default for distribution in the UK and the colonies would quite rightly have faced the lash?

You've already managed to chip away at our unarguable superiority over our American cousins by landsliding GWB out of power, I don't like the direction the world is going

• I thought the United Kingdom was an honorary US state, like Puerto Rico, Guam, or Canada.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply