Unable to connect to Database Engine on New Query Window

• Then it is time to rebuild the workstation. If this has not been done lately, it is way past time. There is something on it that is conflicting, or some type of virus.

I have never heard of this doing what you are describing.

Andrew SQLDBA

• @OP - Are you connected to multiple services in Object Explorer? Maybe SQL Server, Analysis Services, and Integration Services? If so, then it COULD be that you have SSAS highlighted in Object Explorer. Default behavior of SSMS is to create a new query in whatever instance is highlighted in Object Explorer. I know it sounds simple, but have seen people not notice that for over an hour, experienced people (like me 😉 )

• Especially SQL Browser service!!!

• It turned out to be an Active Directory issue with the permissions from the corporate server.

But just to add a note, there was only 1 service running, which is a database engine service, and the new query button was pressed with only the database engine service highlighted. 🙂

• Thanks for posting the resolution. Very few OP's do that, and it's also a learning experience for other folks when you know how it got fixed.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply