Unable to connect to Database from sqlserver enterprise manger

• Hello All,

I have all the credentials handy but still I couldn't connect to a database from enterprise manager,

its giving the reason :"Sql server not exist or access denied".

My question is how I can check the port number of that particular server in enterprise manager?

need your help.

Many thanks in advance.

• pragyan.banerjee (3/29/2012)

Hello All,

I have all the credentials handy but still I couldn't connect to a database from enterprise manager,

its giving the reason :"Sql server not exist or access denied".

My question is how I can check the port number of that particular server in enterprise manager?

need your help.

Many thanks in advance.

lots of questions here to diagnose the issue:

1.You posted in a SQL 2000 forum, and explicitly mentioned "Enterprise manager" and not SSMS, so we really are talking about SLq 200 here, right?

2. are you trying to connect to a remote machine, or are you connecting from the same machine where SQL was installed? Is this a default isntance or a named instance(what is the name?) Remote machines might be prevented by the Windows firewall or other issues.

3. were you(or anyone else) ever able to connect previously? we can narrow down if it's "just you" or not.

4. you checked that the SQL service is actually isntalled and running? (Control Panel>>Administrative Tools>>Services)

5. netstat -an in a cmd window will show what ports some services are listening to.

do you see anything on ports 1433 and port 1434?

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply