Unable to increase size of varchar column

• Using SQL server 2000.

I'm trying to increase the size of a varchar column from 4096 to 6000 in a database with about 3000 rows. I get the following error:

Error: 1780, Severity: 20, State: 0

Could not find column ID 15 in syscolumns for object ID 892582268 in database ID 7

The column is not indexed. The database had been enabled for replication, but there were no published articles. I ran sp_removedbreplication and I still get the same error.

I've run DBCC CHECKDB and CHECKCATALOG on both the user and master databases with no errors reported.

Any ideas?

• Just a though, if you can't increase the size, have you try to re-name the table and recreate the same name table with that size and then import the data back?

mom

• Have you check the total size ( per row ) of your table?

6000 is pretty big. Considering a maximum of 8060 per row you have theoretically 2060 left and I don't know what other columns you may have? but this is just a shot in the dark

* Noel

• That was a good thought but the table doesn't approach the maximum row size.

I can't even increase the size of the coulumn by 1.

• Looks like confusion in the syscolumns table. I would take mom's advice and just rename, create new, copy the data.

Guarddata-

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply