Unable to Install SQL Server 2008 on Vista

• I just had to reformat my system (unexpetantly because of problems beyound my control) and I am having problems with getting SQL Server 2008 installed. I remember having some problems before but it's been many months and I can't find any notes or remeber what I had to do but I think I found the answer here or I posted some comments one. In any event if I did I can't fiond any posts.

I am running Vista Business Edition (32bit) and when I trying to install SQL Server 2008 I get a message that VS 2008 & Windows Installer are required and to click OK to install these whcih I do. When the install of these 2 items begins it very quickly errors out and the contents of the log file show that Installation failed for the component Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0SP1.

Well Vista comes with .Net 2.0 and according to Microsofts website the 2.0SP1 is not comptable with Vista. So I give 3.5 of .Net an try and it bombs saying that .Net 2.0SP1 is not installed. And so just for the heck of it I try to install .Net2.0SP1 and sure enough it fails too.

I've searched the net withy little results which is amazingly odd to me.

Is anyone familiar with this problem? I had SQL Server 2008 running on thsi same computer just a few days ago so I know it can be done!

Thanks

BTW - Windows Update says there are no Updates to install so I should be up to date.

Kindest Regards,

Just say No to Facebook!
  • Have you tried installing .NET framework 2.0 SP 2

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5b2c0358-915b-4eb5-9b1d-10e506da9d0f&displaylang=en

Also - making sure the full Windows authentication is on, IIS is installed, and you run the install in Admin mode (as admin should I say).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• I ran into this problem as well. Make sure Cryptographic and Windows Update services are turned on.

• Thanks to everyone who posted replies. I have thankfully figured this out however I'm ebarrassed to specify what the solution was; installing SP1 for Vista.

I did not do this in the first place because after installing Vista I let WIndows Update run and install all updates listed. I had no clue that WIndows Update would not include something as important as a Service Pack in what it downloads in the updates. AFter all it will pull down third party driver software for something minor like a mouse even if the updated driver is not required but yet a Service Pack for the OS is left. Go figure? Unbelivable.

Kindest Regards,

Just say No to Facebook!
  • I have similar problems. My Window Business Vista installed Visual Studio 2005, and SQL Server 2005 Dev edition and RED Gate tools.

When I installed the SQL 2008, it asked me to install Microsoft Window Installer 4.5. I download the window installer. I also unable to install the Windows installer into my box.

• I have also had these wacky problems, you need to uninstall .net 3.5 and then 2.0 , then reinstall it.

• I uninstalled SQL Server 2005, VS 2005 and Net Framework and SQL Server 2008 still won't install. SQL Server 2008 complained about Microsoft Window Installer 4.5.

Also, I tried to install Microsoft Window Installer 4.5 and it failed/never completed.

Any ideas about these errors?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply