Unable to perform a bulk delete of data from a table using datediff

• Can anyone help with the following.

I have 2 servers. Server A and B running SQL 2005 standard with merge replication set up between them. I have a table (table_A) that I cannot bulk delete from on server B. Deleting from the same table on server A works. Normally the delete task runs on B and those deletes are replicated to A.

I also noticed the following: After performing a count on server A and B Table_A then running the bulk delete on A the deletes didn’t appear to replicate to B – Its as if this table on server B has a problem.

There is around 170,000 records in the table and I’m running the following syntax

delete from table_A where datediff(hh,time_occurred,getdate()) > 24

A few days ago this t-sql completed within a second. Now it doesn’t complete. I can however delete a single row at a time. Nothing has changed on the server to my knowledge.

I have set up a profiler trace before, during and after executing this t-sql and run the trace through database engine tuning advisor and no recommendations were made.

I’m thinking I should truncate the table however want to avoid as I will need to stop replication and take a new snapshort after the articles has been removed from the publisher.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

• A little more information.

If I run the following the query completes instantly;

select top 10 * from Table_A

however If I run

Select top 10 * from Table_A

order by time_occurred

The query runs for 10 seconds, then I ended....this should not take this long.

looks like the sorting of this table is messed up. Note there are no indexes only the one replication added. however as mentioned there were no recommendations from the tuning adviser for any indexes.

• Why no index on time_occurred ?

Is the table getting bigger, so that originally a table scan was quick, but now takes much longer ?

• TOP 10 can grab one page (or a few) and return 10 rows. Any 10.

The order by means you must load the entire table to ensure you have the top 10 from that order.

Add an index.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply