Unable to Restore Database

• I am provided with a .sls file that seems to be backup of a sql server db using litespeed. back file size is about 45 GB. i am unable to restore it.

please suggest.

It does not throw any error but the DB status shows Restore. Does not know what to do.

Syntax:

exec master.dbo.xp_restore_database @database = 'MYDB_PROD' ,

@filename = 'D:\DB_BackUps_All\US\UATDB\TestT1.sls',

@filename = 'D:\DB_BackUps_All\US\UATDB\Test_T2.sls',

@filename = 'D:\DB_BackUps_All\US\UATDB\Test_T3.sls',

@filename = 'D:\DB_BackUps_All\US\UATDB\Test_T4.sls',

@with = 'replace',

@with = 'move "MYDB_PROD" to "D:\MYDB_PROD.mdf"',

@with = 'move "MYDB_PROD_log" to "D:\MYDB_PROD_log.ldf"',

@with = 'move "MYDB_PROD2" to "D:\MYDB_PROD_2.ndf"',

@with = 'move "MYDB_PROD_LOG2" to "D:\MYDB_PROD_log2.ldf"'

@with = 'RECOVERY'

Cheers,

Got an idea..share it !!

DBA_Vishal

• You should delete log file 1st then backup and then restore

hmmmmm....

• Hi,

Are you sure that you can restore Litespeed backup to SQL Server using T-SQL? May be you need to retore only using their tool.

Regards,
    Sakthi
    My Blog -> http://www.sqlserverdba.co.cc

• I have tested out the backup / restore using litespeed. It is working fine. But the BAckup I received from the Clents is getting hung at 30 %. Even verify is falling. I saw a similar issue posted in the forum long back with a solution to it (http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic228906-92-1.aspx) .

But the link provided by Atif Sheikh is not available now.

Any one who could put some inputs to this ??

SQL Server 2005 - version 3215.

Windows 2003 with SP2

Error in SQL Server log : Error 18210 , BackupIORequest: Waitfor IO completion with OS error 995.

Any inputs !!

Cheers,

Got an idea..share it !!

DBA_Vishal

• have you tried contacting Quest support?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• I have been trying to log a case in Quest software for past 2 days but some how not able to login to their support site.

Just woundering am I dealing with a BUG ! while trying to restore a very large database (.sls extension) using litespeed restore command Xp_restore_database.

1. Is SQL Server is not able to create the VDI ?

2. Is there any issue at the Thread level ?

This error also logged in the application event but there is no issue with the disk subsytem and I dont see any error regarding the same in the system event view.

The error says :

2008-11-21 17:16:50.81 spid60 Error: 18210, Severity: 16, State: 1.

2008-11-21 17:16:50.81 spid60 BackupIoRequest::WaitForIoCompletion: read failure on backup device 'VDI_40286800-3335-4E74-AF3C-A2EE4986F515_2'. Operating system error 995(The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request.).

Have any one faced this kind of error earlier. Please share how did you resolve this issue.

Thanks !!

Cheers,

Got an idea..share it !!

DBA_Vishal

• vkundar (11/23/2008)

I have been trying to log a case in Quest software for past 2 days but some how not able to login to their support site.

Call them on the phone.

• Amit Gupta (11/20/2008)

You should delete log file 1st then backup and then restore

hmmmmm....

No, no, no, no!

The transaction log is not an optional file that can be deleted without causing problems. It's an essential part of the database. I have, more than once, seen someone delete a transaction log and send their database into a suspect state. If the backup won't restore then destroying the working copy of the db is a silly thing to do.

I've seen this before when there were errors in the backup or database (or log) and the restore couldn't complete. Are there any errors in the SQL error log? Is there anything useful in litespeed's logs?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • vkundar (11/23/2008)

Just woundering am I dealing with a BUG ! while trying to restore a very large database (.sls extension) using litespeed restore command Xp_restore_database.

I've backed up and restored a 1.2 TB database with litespeed. 45 GB is not a very large database. It's actually small by modern standards.

2008-11-21 17:16:50.81 spid60 Error: 18210, Severity: 16, State: 1.

Where is the backup file? A physical drive? Can you copy to another machine and see if you can restore there?

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• I did try the same Shaw, but received the same error message. There is a KB on MS which talks about this and I had applied the Hotfix too. But my bad luck I am at zero progress level.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934396

Right now I am assuming the backup file is corrupted and asked the IT dept to take the backup once again.

SQL Server error log

======================

2008-11-26 15:04:51.29 spid55 Error: 18210, Severity: 16, State: 1.

2008-11-26 15:04:51.29 spid55 BackupIoRequest::WaitForIoCompletion: read failure on backup device 'VDI_85FFBF0C-4A8F-4591-ABBE-38E0E4517312_2'. Operating system error 995(The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request.).

Application event log

========================

BackupIoRequest::WaitForIoCompletion: read failure on backup device 'VDI_85FFBF0C-4A8F-4591-ABBE-38E0E4517312_2'.

Operating system error 995(The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request.).

Cheers,

Got an idea..share it !!

DBA_Vishal

• I know log file is not optional file but when i have space problem then i am shrink database that time log file size reduce means default size but no error arise.

• I don't understand exactly what you're saying.

If you have space constraints, get more space. Repeatedly shrinking the dataabse and log (and having them grow again) will cause index fragmentation, internal fragmentation in the log (lots of VLFs) and file-level fragmentation. Databases tend to grow. It's in their nature. They should have enough space to grow.

Deleting the log is the fastest way to get a corrupt and unusable database.

Gail Shaw

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply