Unattended Install of SQL 2005 Service Pack 3

• Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to create an unattended (silent) install of Service Pack 3 for SQL 2005. Has anyone done this or have an idea? We are in the process of creating several new installs and I have a working unattended install for SQL 2005 but not for the SP3.

Any help would be great.

Thank you in advance for your time and help,

Rudy

Rudy

• Hi

Check out the below link

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/913089

• Thanks for the link. I was there before but could not see anything on unattended install of SP3. Look like it can only be done via Windows updates. Since we already have the files we would not but doing the SP3 install from the web.

Thanks,

Rudy

Rudy

• Looks like there is no way to do it...

• But if we go with thumb rule.."-s" is option to run it in silent mode. Not sure is this applicable at the SP level...

• interesting.. I'll have to take a look

Rudy

• I believe it's /quiet /allinstances.

Run the sp exe with /? to get all of the options

• Hello everyone,

Has anyone figured out how to do the unattended installation of SP3 for SQL 2005?

I have check the option (with /?) but this still will not perform the unattended install.

Thanks,

Rudy

Rudy

• Running the SP install with parameters /quiet and /allinstances should update all the SQL 2005 instances, plus the tools, on your server.

The same parameters apply for a Cumulative Update installation. But be aware that many CUs do not include the updates for SQL Server Native Client, and you have to apply the SNAC update separately.

After you have installed a SP or a CU, the following is also good practice:

1) Start SQL Server, and check the Errorlog file until you see the message 'Recovery is complete'.

Some updates run a number of scripts the first time SQL is started after the update is applied, and some of the processes in the scripts cannot be rerun if SQL is closed while the script is running.

2) Stop SQL Server and take a copy of the master and resource .mdf and .ldf files.

These should be kept safely to allow an emergency restore of these databases if you get corruption and your normal backups are unuseable. Every SP and CU you apply will update the maintenance level of SQL, and if you need to recover one of these DBs the othe rmust be recovered to the same maintenance level if you want SQL to start.

<advert>FineBuild does all this for you</advert>

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• Thanks for the update. I have executed SP3 with the /parameters that you have mentioned and it still don't install automatically. Is SP3 different that say SP2?

Usually we install SPs manually but in our disaster recovery site we would like to do an unattended install.

Guess we'll have to play with this a bit more.

Thanks,

Rudy

Rudy

• Rudy..Did the unattended sp3 install worked ?

• Hello, sorry fro the delay but no. Not able to do an unattended install of any service packs.

Wish you had the option so that you could completed automate the entire installation of SQL server.

Thanks,

Rudy

Rudy

• What problems and messages do you get when you try to do an unattended SP install? This can be made to work without intervention (see FineBuild 2.1 for an example), but if you want to script it yourself there may be some things you need to do beside running the SP install.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• No error message just Microsoft does not have an option for unattended installation for Service Packs. I talked to them and there is no immediate future for this function.

Rudy

Rudy

• I am not sure if the left hand talked to the right hand at Microsoft.

A command line install of a SQL Server service pack is a standard feature. The SP readme file has details of the command line switches needed to run an unattended install.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply