Understanding global variables

• On some website, I came across this:

"Global variable names begin with a @@ prefix. You do not need to declare them, since the server constantly maintains them. They are system-defined functions and you cannot declare them."

Global variables are being discussed, but then it says they are system-defined functions.  How can a variable also be a function?  I thought functions have a pair of (  ) after the function name to accept parameter values.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like system variables can have global scope.

Can system variables have local scope?

User defined variables can have local scope.  Can user defined variables have global scope?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then in a different situation but on a similar note, I have this code from a PDF file I bought about SQL Interview questions.

-- drop all user defined stored procedures Declare @procName varchar(500) Declare cur Cursor For Select [name] From sys.objects where type = 'p' Open cur Fetch Next From cur Into @procName While @@fetch_status = 0 Begin Exec('drop procedure ' + @procName) Fetch Next From cur Into @procName End Close cur Deallocate cur

Not sure why the returns didn't appear when I pasted the code above.  Anyway, my question is about this part:

Declare cur Cursor For Select [name] From sys.objects where type = 'p'

The person is declaring cur of type Cursor.  What exactly is cur?  It looks like it's a variable but it can't be because it doesn't have the @ sign before it, i.e. @cur, so I'm not sure what cur is in this case.

• Be brave. Read the documentation. There are examples of how to properly use all this stuff there.

• michael.leach2015 wrote:

-- drop all user defined stored procedures 
    Declare @procName varchar(500)
    Declare cur Cursor
    For Select [name] From sys.objects where type = 'p'

Open cur

Fetch Next
    From cur Into @procName

While @@fetch_status = 0 Begin
    Exec('drop procedure ' + @procName)
    Fetch Next From cur Into @procName
    End
    Close cur
    Deallocate cur

Anyway, my question is about this part:

Declare cur Cursor For Select [name] From sys.objects where type = 'p'

The person is declaring cur of type Cursor.  What exactly is cur?  It looks like it's a variable but it can't be because it doesn't have the @ sign before it, i.e. @cur, so I'm not sure what cur is in this case.

cur is a cursor. You could, if you wanted to, declare it with an @:

-- drop all user defined stored procedures 
    Declare @procName varchar(500)

Declare @cur Cursor

SET @cur = cursor
    For Select [name]
    From sys.objects
    where type = 'p'

Open @cur

Fetch Next
    From @cur Into @procName

While @@fetch_status = 0 Begin
    Exec('drop procedure ' + @procName)
    Fetch Next From @cur Into @procName
    End
    Close @cur
    Deallocate @cur

PS: Don't run this code on your system, unless you want to drop all the stored procedures on your database!

• Ah, the joys of old knowledge repeated forever, despite things changing.

Read the docs. System functions can start with @@ and they used to be called global variables. They're not now. They're functions and, as the document says, follows the rules of functions.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply