Unexpected SQL exception in DA

• I am not sure what this message means and an wondering if anyone has seen it before or knows where I can look for help. I was not sure where to post it.

A WebSphere Java Application is failing during an SQL connection on a particular row set.

servletErrorMessage=Unexpected SQL exception in DA (getWorksheets)

[IBM][SQLServer JDBC Driver]A problem occurred when attempting to contact the server (Server returned: Connection reset). Please ensure that the server parameters passed to the driver are correct and that the server is running. Also ensure that the maximum number of connections have not been exceeded for this server.

• I doubt it's happening every time right? I always call these intermittent network issues;

it's nothing to do with the code or even with SQL server, but the network;

it could be caused by tons of things:

• the sql server being stopped and started,
    • a router or hub being turned off and on,
    • DNS server being unable to resolve an address for a bit....
    • firewall issues...
    • computer cable being kicked/moved
    • a dba issueing the KILL <yourspid> command as well.

if you restart the app and it's fine, I'd say ignore it. it's the network, and you rarely have control of that.

if it's really happening every time, let us know..you'd probably want to run a trace, as maybe something is timing out after 30 secs or so, and the error returned is misleading.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Thanks. I'm told that the error is repeatable within a particular result set. When it occurs the application has to be restarted. Regarding the trace, is this profiler? If so, what things I should be looking for.

• yes, i mean run a trace in profiler, preferably against a test database, but it doesn't matter.

start a trace, and make them duplicate the error when the trace is running.

stop the trace, and review the sql commands that were issued by the developers machine, look at the spid, hostname or whatever to find the commands he issued;

find the last most commands  until the failure, it might be the last issued by that particular SPID.

test the query in QA and see if it is long running....my suspicion is that either the .CommandTimeout or .ConnectionTimeout of the [SQLServer JDBC Driver] is defaulted at 30 seconds by the application...when something takes longer than that, an error is raised, but the actual error is not returned by the application...it might simply be returning that error, when it was actually a timeout.

that's where i would look first.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Thanks again.  We'll go from there.  FYI -- The webSphere folks are looking at upgrading the JDBC driver as it appears outdated.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply