Uninstall an instance of MS SQL server 2005

• Hi all,

I have got multiple instances of sql server 2005 running on the same physical machine used for test purposes. Now I want to get rid of one instance while leaving other instances intact.

I was wondering if anyone could give me a hint on how to uninstall one instance only.

Thanks in advance

Niyala

• Hi,

Very straight forward! Go to Add\Remove programs and select SQL 2005 Server you will then get the option to remove a solitary instance.

Mark

• Thanks Mark.

It was useful

Niyala

• Can you uninstall the default instance and leave the remaining named instances intact?

• Not sure never tried it... perhaps someone else can answer this for you?

• SQL_Easy_btn? (12/9/2008)

Can you uninstall the default instance and leave the remaining named instances intact?

I would think so, default instance is really another named instance called MSSQLSERVER

I have uninstalled 1 of the 2 named instances on the same server, SQL uninstaller asked you which instance to pick

SQLServerNewbie MCITP: Database Administrator SQL Server 2005
  • SQL_Easy_btn? (12/9/2008)

Can you uninstall the default instance and leave the remaining named instances intact?

Yes, you can.

• Dear

Please resolve my query...

I have installed my sql server last year, after some time I have made named instances on that now I dont remember ......

Bcoz I want to delete my default instance only but I m not getting it in uninstallation during add/remove programs ...

I want to Know whether it was installed as a named instance or default instance?

Thanx

Thanks

• check the following key in the windows registry

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\Instance Names\SQL

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• It is showing as :

Name Type Data

(Default) REG_SZ (value not set)

Ajay REG_SZ MSSQL.1

It means I have one named instance Ajay.I have installed my server as Named instance.

Is it correct?

Thanks

• Any ideas on what is required to uninstall a SQL2005 instance that is running in a clustered set of servers?

• throneofmight (8/11/2010)

Any ideas on what is required to uninstall a SQL2005 instance that is running in a clustered set of servers?

launch the installer from add\remove programs.

select the clustered database engine instance and select remove virtual server when prompted. You may remove from all nodes or deselect individual nodes

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Thanks for the tip! I just found these as well with the step by step instructions, might be helpful to other guys:

How to: Uninstall an Existing Instance of SQL Server 2005 (Setup): http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143412%28SQL.90%29.aspx

How to: Remove a SQL Server 2005 Failover Clustered Instance (Setup): http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190438%28SQL.90%29.aspx

• your welcome.

uninstalling is fairly straight forward via the wizard, provided you don't hit any problems!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply