Uninstall SSRS 2012 default instance; how to?

• An upgrade to SQL Server 2012 was mostly successful; both of my 2 instances of SSRS 'made it' but the default instance was not quite right (even though the 2nd instance works perfectly). After spend a lot of time on the faulty default instance I decided to blow it away and begin afresh.

I began at Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features, looking for something like Reporting Services to uninstall, but found nothing, so all I have done so far is to delete the C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS11.MSSQLSERVER directory, but as you know, that did not actually uninstall much; the instance is still listed in the Sql Server Configuration Manager and on the (very useful) Setup Discovery Report.

Maybe it's not possible to uninstall the default instance if there are other instances installed?

Maybe a name change would make a difference?

Maybe there are 17 Registry entries that need to be adjusted?

What?

• Do you have the database engine installed as well? If so through add and remove programs select mssqlserver to uninstall then later on you get the option as to which components you want to uninstall IIRC.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• Thanks a lot for the info. You're right about how it works but I'm concerned that when I delete "Reporting Services - Native" from the default instance, it will uninstall stuff that my other (Production) SSRS instance will need.

You promise I can do this delete and it won't effect the other non-default instance?

-------------------------

Hey SSCarpel T, as a test I just began the uninstall process for the non-default instance and, sure enough, it also has its own option to deledelete "Reporting Services - Native." As long as these two "Reporting Services - Native" point to separate and independent sets of config files and the like, I should be okay, right, right, right? (I'm still pretty nervous about this.)

• I don't have anything like this setup so I cannot give any cast iron guarantees. However I know of no shared resources for RS instances so I don't see any reason why one cannot be removed without affecting others.

There will be components left behind, such as the RS databases and config files.

• You da Man, SSCarp! Followed your advice and it worked just as you predicted. Thank you very much!

-------------

Now my plan is to delete/move the existing RS and RSTempDB and then to recreate that pesky default RS instance, paying more attention to the encryption piece this time. I'm going to try to stumble through that process on my own, but if you have any cautions for me, they would be welcome. In any case, I really appreciate your help.

• If the old MSRS10.MSSQLSERVER directory still exists, move it out of the way. If your problem was around encryption make sure you have the encryption keys available and as recreating from scratch back up your new one.

• Thanks once again, SSCarpell; will do.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply