Uninstalling 1 of 2 instances on a SQL 2008 server.

• I have the step by step instructions to uninstall an instance, but had a question -

#6 which features should I remove to ONLY remove the 2nd database instance. Just the database engine right?

1. To uninstall an instance of SQL Server 2008

2. To begin the uninstall process, from the Start menu, click Control Panel, and then double-click Add or Remove Programs.

3. Select the SQL Server component to uninstall, and then click Change/Remove. This will start the SQL Server Installation Wizard.

4. Setup Support Rules will run to verify your computer configuration. To continue, click Ok.

5. On the Select Instance page, use the drop-down box to specify an instance of SQL Server to remove (CLTSQLSTRPT1\STRPTINST1). To continue, click Next.

6. On the Select Features page, specify the features to remove from the specified instance of SQL Server.

7. Removal rules will run to verify that the operation can complete successfully.

8. On the Ready to Uninstall page, review the list of components and features that will be uninstalled.

9. The Setup Progress page will display Setup status.

10. On the Completing Setup page, click Close to exit the Installation Wizard.

• That's right. It will allow you to select the instance and then you can select the features to remove or you can remove the whole instance. It shows the hierarchy of the features and the top level is the instance.

• THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH! I appreciate you taking the time to post this.

My only issue was going into the registry to delete the instance from there so it wouldn't show up in SQL Server Management Studio. I'm picky like that.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply