Union Benefits

• dphillips (3/9/2009)

Union or none, the ultimate goal would be to manage one's finances in a manner that allows one the freedom to make the choices they desire, rather than being forced into bad situations.

I personally only recently realized how possible this truly is on any income, and how extremely important it is also. I now look at personal finances far different than I ever did before. This reality allays most of the concerns I have seen expressed on this topic, at least for me.

Care to expand a bit on your comment? Are you talking http://www.fourhourworkweek.com?

Or something else?

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Samuel Johnson (3/7/2009)

"I know lots of you don't think unions are good..." Where does that come from? My guess is that just as many (in fact probably more) people working in IT approve of unions. The people who dislike unions the most are employers, for the obvious reasons.

"in fact" + "probably" sounds more like unverifiable bait than point of view.

This I know: Most of the current unions deal with manual labor, and in most cases, extremely slow changes to working classes or process. IT is largely intellectual labor, and changes constantly, and deals in pay that is far more varied up and down the scale, with little means of consolidating that structure, because the technology changes too quickly for any to get too comfortable, which in turn, gives the edge to the employee/contractor, instead of the employer, negating the need of a union. Even in a depressed economy that balance still tilts toward the employee/contractor in this industry, albeit somewhat more restricted... the dot-com bust is just one example which proved that.

In the IT industry, only the large companies can afford redundancy of personnel accross their IT infrastructure. Those that cannot are of necessity willing to come to the bargaining table.

• I am not an employer. I dislike like Unions because the promote mediocracy. They are more concerned about the number of Union members, not the membership itself. It is nearly impossible to terminate those that can't (or won't) do the job, and it favors promoting those who have seniority or those who are more qualified.

The day of management and unions being adversaries should be over. They should start working together for the betterment of BOTH the employees and company. Once they start doing that, then both will find that it is actually a win-win solution.

• jcrawf02 (3/9/2009)

dphillips (3/9/2009)

Union or none, the ultimate goal would be to manage one's finances in a manner that allows one the freedom to make the choices they desire, rather than being forced into bad situations.

I personally only recently realized how possible this truly is on any income, and how extremely important it is also. I now look at personal finances far different than I ever did before. This reality allays most of the concerns I have seen expressed on this topic, at least for me.

Care to expand a bit on your comment? Are you talking http://www.fourhourworkweek.com?

Or something else?

LOL. I am familiar with that 4HWW site. No, not that at all.

I am referring to common-sense financial management, something that until recently, seem to evade me. Breaking the spending cycle, paying myself for future safety, getting completely out of debt with using a model similar to the debt snow-ball, etc. It is amazing the pure insanity and stress one is spared from once one gets a few months worth of safety savings in place. Before, if I lost my job, my family would immediately suffer until I was employed again. With just a few months pay-worth of savings, that stress is diminished greatly. Having 3 months to find a job is good, but I'd like to get where I can go a whole year without, and eventually without any job at all if needed.

It is very acheiveable, on any income. I don't care if one puts away $10, or $1000 per month, the point is building (and not touching) the buffer. This has been a very difficult thing for me to master. (grin). But I have "seen the light" so to speak during the off-periods between the last 4 clients/employers. The earlier two, I hurt from stress and worry. The latter two, not so much, as I was far more prepared, and could take a breather if I wanted. It is worth it's weight in gold. I do not ever want to give any employer that much power and fear of job loss, and over my family's welfare again.

This is no sales-pitch, although there are many a good product on the market to help one realize these goals. I work where I work because I want to, not because I have to.

• brazumich (3/6/2009)

...Even without unions now, we would not have ...the 8 hour day, without the unions that many of our grandparents and great grandparents (and maybe even parents) belong to before us.

What's an 8 hour day? What's a weekend? I'm confused. What is this word "overtime" and "vacation?"

• greg.garner (3/9/2009)

What's an 8 hour day? What's a weekend? I'm confused. What is this word "overtime" and "vacation?"

It's what your sister's husband, who is a Teamster, gets.:blink:

My blog: SQL Soldier[/url]
    SQL Server Best Practices:
    SQL Server Best Practices
    Twitter: @SQLSoldier
    My book: Pro SQL Server 2008 Mirroring[/url]
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, Data Platform MVP
    Database Engineer at BlueMountain Capital Management[/url]

• The one whose main skill is breaking wind to the beat of 70's dance tunes?

• greg.garner (3/9/2009)

The one whose main skill is breaking wind to the beat of 70's dance tunes?

No, her husband. 😛 😀

My blog: SQL Soldier[/url]
    SQL Server Best Practices:
    SQL Server Best Practices
    Twitter: @SQLSoldier
    My book: Pro SQL Server 2008 Mirroring[/url]
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, Data Platform MVP
    Database Engineer at BlueMountain Capital Management[/url]

• Irish Flyer (3/6/2009)

David Reed (3/6/2009)

Our meetings are short and have agendas. They are for distributing knowledge quickly and evenly, not time wasting.

Hey, that's a good thing. Meetings without agendas are subject to wandering off course.

• That's what meetings should be for sure. and they should be short. too many people schedule an hour when 10 minutes would work.

• Steve Jones - Editor (3/10/2009)

That's what meetings should be for sure. and they should be short. too many people schedule an hour when 10 minutes would work.

Amen, brother, preach it! I end up having to book time on my own schedule just to get work done/have lunch. Ridiculous.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Ralph Hightower (3/10/2009)

Irish Flyer (3/6/2009)

David Reed (3/6/2009)

Our meetings are short and have agendas. They are for distributing knowledge quickly and evenly, not time wasting.

Hey, that's a good thing. Meetings without agendas are subject to wandering off course.

[sarcasm]What's an agenda?[/sarcasm]

This is why most people dislike meetings. There either is no agenda or the person leading the meeting is not "strong" enough to keep the meeting to the topic on the agenda.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• jcrawf02 (3/10/2009)

Steve Jones - Editor (3/10/2009)

That's what meetings should be for sure. and they should be short. too many people schedule an hour when 10 minutes would work.

Amen, brother, preach it! I end up having to book time on my own schedule just to get work done/have lunch. Ridiculous.

I know this isn't new...

I had a boss who scheduled all meetings in this particular room. It had a table, but no chairs. You had to stand during the entire meeting. Made for shorter meetings.

But that wasn't good enough. So he changed it around to meetings on Saturdays only. That really cut down on the BS meetings.

Honor Super Omnia-
    Jason Miller

• Jason Miller (3/10/2009)

So he changed it around to meetings on Saturdays only.

Wouldn't take long for me to be looking elsewhere for work especially if there was no comp time for coming in on Saturday.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Sat meetings? I'm stunned. I'd be looking ASAP as well.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 157 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply