UNION, JOIN?

• I have a Main table that contains a field 'WONum'. A similarly named filed exists in two other tables. Those two other tables also contain the filed that I want to JOIN or UNION with my main table. That field is named 'WOQty'. So what I need is to JOIN my Main table with the WOQty from either of the other tables. Is that a JOIN or a UNION or something else entirely?

• Sounds like a join. But without knowing more about the data and table structure, it's difficult to help any more than that.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Based on the limited info we have so far, the JOINs would look something like this:

SELECT *
    FROM dbo.main_table mt
    LEFT OUTER JOIN dbo.other_table1 ot1 ON ot1.WOQty = mt.WONum
    LEFT OUTER JOIN dbo.other_table2 ot2 ON ot2.WOQty = mt.WONum

SQL DBA,SQL Server MVP(07, 08, 09) "Money can't buy you happiness." Maybe so, but it can make your unhappiness a LOT more comfortable!

• I am always not sure what additional info you guys are looking for.

Main Table tblJDEWOData2

BusinessUnit char(30)

PartNum char(30)

WONum int

TransDate datetime

TransQty int

Table 1 tblHistory

HistoryID int

WONum int

WOQty int

Table 2 tbl WONumWOQty

WONum int

WOQty int

Output

BusinessUnit  PartNum WONum TransDate TransQty WOQty

• So my response did not help you at all?

If you need to return data from the non-main tables conditionally, based on whether the WONum appears in each table or not, just specify those conditions and I will adjust the code accordingly, if you want me to and it would help you.

SQL DBA,SQL Server MVP(07, 08, 09) "Money can't buy you happiness." Maybe so, but it can make your unhappiness a LOT more comfortable!

• Scott,

I get no values returned from either of the other tables even though I do when I query each separately...

I do get both sets if I change the Query to:

SELECT mt.BusinessUnit, mt.PartNum, mt.WONum, mt.TransDate, mt.TransQty, ot1.WOQty, ot2.WOQty AS WOQty2

FROM tblJDEWOData2 AS mt LEFT OUTER JOIN

tblWONumWOQty AS ot1 ON ot1.WONum = mt.WONum LEFT OUTER JOIN

tblHistory AS ot2 ON ot2.WONum = mt.WONum

ORDER BY mt.TransDate

But then of course, I have two columns for WOQty

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by  tim8w.
  • Assuming you don't want to return the second if the first gets a match -- you never really stated exactly -- then do this:

SELECT mt.BusinessUnit, mt.PartNum, mt.WONum, mt.TransDate, mt.TransQty, ISNULL(ot1.WOQty, ot2.WOQty) AS WOQty

FROM tblJDEWOData2 AS mt LEFT OUTER JOIN

tblWONumWOQty AS ot1 ON ot1.WONum = mt.WONum LEFT OUTER JOIN

tblHistory AS ot2 ON ot1.WONum IS NULL AND ot2.WONum = mt.WONum

ORDER BY mt.TransDate

• Scott,

Thanks for the help. That's exactly what I needed. Now I just have to find out why there's so many NULLs in my source tables. There's always something...

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply