Unique Columns - Absolute Novice Question!!

• I have three tables defined as follows:

1. Table name = Companies_T, Columns = ID(PK - auto increment by 1), Name

2. Table name = Departments_T, Columns = ID(PK - auto increment by 1), Company_ID(PK), Name

3. Table name = Groups_T, Columns = ID(PK - auto increment by 1), Department_ID(PK), Name

I have defined the following relationships:

1. Companies_T.ID = Departments_T.Company_ID

2. Departments_T.ID = Groups_T.Department_ID

This all works well but my question is this, when I insert data into the Companies_T table I can specify the same company twice e.g. ID=1, Name=Test : ID=2, Name=Test. The same is true for the other tables. Although I cannot specify the automatically incremented ID field twice I can enter duplicate information for the other tables. So, what would be the easiest way to resolve this problem?

• the problem here is that you have placed an auto number in the companies table and defined it as the primary key.

a primary key is defined as the entity that can be used to uniquly identify a row in a table.

if you want to use an autonumber as a primary key (to save on storage in your related tables) then you need to add a unique contraint to the Company name field in the company table.

MVDBA

• Thanks Mike, so as well as defining the priamry key I must also add a constraint on the relevant columns in the three tables.

• That's correct. if you want a field to not allow duplicates (that isn't the entire primary key) then you need a contraint.

if you are in the UK then visit

http://www.quantix-uk.com/database_storage/database_storage.html

you can get a free SQL server healthcheck.

MVDBA

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply