uniqueidentifier in xp_sqlagent_enum_jobs

• I want to link a job that is running with a process in sysprocess. For it the process_name in sysprocesses will be something like: "SQLAgent - TSQL JobStep (Job 0x5D28E67698A3194197B09FAF1662E791 : Step 1)"                                                  

I want to isolate that job_id hexa number in some varchar variable to compare, but I don't know how. Can anyone give me any idea?

Please see below for details:

I created a job for test which got job_id=76E6285D-A398-4119-97B0-9FAF1662E791 in sysjobs.

If I run:

declare @v_jobid uniqueidentifier

select @v_jobid=job_id from msdb..sysjobs where name='TEST long job'

exec master..xp_sqlagent_enum_jobs 1,'',@v_jobid

this will display:

Job ID                            

--------------------------------------------0x5D28E67698A3194197B09FAF1662E791

if I put the result in a table with the following structure (as in msdb..sp_get_composite_job_info):

CREATE TABLE #xp_results (job_id                UNIQUEIDENTIFIER NOT NULL,

last_run_date         INT              NOT NULL,

last_run_time         INT              NOT NULL,

next_run_date         INT              NOT NULL,

next_run_time         INT              NOT NULL,

next_run_schedule_id  INT              NOT NULL,

requested_to_run      INT              NOT NULL, -- BOOL

request_source        INT              NOT NULL,

request_source_id     sysname          COLLATE database_default NULL,

running               INT              NOT NULL, -- BOOL

current_step          INT              NOT NULL,

current_retry_attempt INT              NOT NULL,

job_state             INT              NOT NULL)

declare @v_jobid uniqueidentifier

select @v_jobid=job_id from msdb..sysjobs where name='TEST long job'

insert into #xp_results

exec master..xp_sqlagent_enum_jobs 1,'',@v_jobid

select job_id from #xp_results

will show:

job_id                              

------------------------------------

76E6285D-A398-4119-97B0-9FAF1662E791

which is the same value in sysjobs and is not the same thing shown in the preocess_name when job runs.

I have no clue how to get the 0x stuff in a character string.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you,

Gabriela

• I did a little research on this forum last night and it seems I found my answer in a posting sometimes in February 2004. The below code will to the conversion:

master.dbo.fn_varbintohexstr(convert(binary(16),job_id ))

Gabriela

• Ah, the old unix password trick.

generate the hex # from the job ids.

took about 15 seconds and I found it.

DOH!

• Hi,

I want to get the Job_ID through the program. I have written a code snippet which is given below:

_bstr_t bstrJobId = m_pRecordsetJob->Fields->GetItem(L"Job ID")->GetValue();

The above code returns the value of "Job ID" column which seems to be garbage. How should I convert the same to view the content of the "Job ID" column.

I have tried to use the same in the function "master.dbo.fn_varbintohexstr()" but while using the variable "bstrJobId" it returns some garbage value. Can we convert the same into string representation?

Reply ASAP.

Thanks,

Pramod

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply