UPDATE in a better way

• Hi guys,

I am trying to update a table based on certain conditions. I know i can do it by running couple of UPDATE statements but I would like to do it in a better way incase if there is a way. here is the problem description(a simplified example): i have a table with following 3 coloumn names(StudentID, Choice and Status) and values:

StudentID Choice Status

1111 Music S

1111 BackStage P

1111 Dance S

2222 BackStage S

Now my questions is: I would like to change the value of coloumn 'Choice' for the 'StudentID' 1111 if his 'Status' is S to values contained in two variable Choice1(Singing) and Choice2(Assistant). I can just give you a sample of the Output that I require after running the UPDATE query.

StudentID Choice Status

1111 Singing S

1111 BackStage P

1111 Assistant S

2222 BackStage S

I know I can achieve this by two SQL update query but I would like to achieve this in one UPDATE query. Remember, I would like to UPDATE the Choice coloumn in shot itself and not by writing the UPDATE query using 'case when' . The primary key of the table is a composite primary key(StudentID+Choice)

Let me know if anything is not clear.

• Please post the update statements.

Without using a case, this is the only alternative that comes to mind:

Create table #C

(StudentID, OldChoice , NewChoice)

insert into #c

(StudentID, OldChoice , NewChoice)

select 1111 , 'Music', 'Singing' union all

select 1111 , 'Dance', 'Assistant'

Update Foo

Set Choice = #c.NewChoice

FROM #c

where Foo.StudentID = #c.StudentID

and Foo.OldChoice = #c.OldChoice

drop table #c

SQL = Scarcely Qualifies as a Language

• The two update statements are:

UPDATE studTable

SET choice=@Choice1

where StudentID=@studID and Choice="Dance" and Status="S"

UPDATE studTable

SET choice=@Choice2

where StudentID=@studID and Choice="Music" and Status="S"

So basically I would like to achieve the above in just one update statement.

• And why don't you want to use the CASE in this case since this is a conditional update ?

UPDATE studTable

SET choice= (case choice

when 'Dance' then @Choice1

when 'Music' then @Choice2

end)

where StudentID=@studID

and Choice IN ('Music', 'Dance')

and Status='S'

• The things is that what if both conditions are true. will it perform both the cases? I am not sure about the working of case statements in SQL.

• The CASE statement is a short circuit statement in T-SQL meaning if the first WHEN condition gets satisfied, the second one does not get executed at all. Since this CASE statement is going to be applied for a given row, for a given row, you will not have both "Music" and "Dance" in the choice column - you will only have one.

So, in other words, if you have say 10 records that qualify the where clause of the update statement and 3 need to be converted for Music, and 7 need to be converted for Dance, that update statement will do it - you can try it out.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply