Update on a large table.

• I have large fact table (30 million rows) which I need to run the following update statement. However my SQL Server doesn't seem to have the puff to be able complete it.

Update Fact_Transaction

Set Fact_Transaction.TRANSACTION_STATUS_SKEY = Dim_Transaction_Status.TRANSACTION_STATUS_SKEY

From

Fact_Transaction

Inner Join Dim_Transaction_Status On

Fact_Transaction.Entry_Status = Dim_Transaction_Status.Transaction_Status_Code

I am testing the query on my dev environment and I have found that 24 hours after setting it off it is still running with the disk running at 100% useage.

I experimented with using SET ROWCOUNT to limit the rows affected to 1 million records and the update takes about 2 minutes. Increasing the rowcount to 5 million takes about 20 mins and yet if I don't set the rowcount I have yet to see the query complete.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can try?

• Hi,

Did u set SET NOCOUNT ON. Does this have any effect

Helen
    --------------------------------
    Are you a born again. He is Jehova Jirah unto me

• I haven't used the SET NOCOUNT option. Does this have an effect on performance?

Thanks, Daniel

• What is the initial value of the column being updated ? Are they all initially NULL ?

If so, add a:

WHERE Fact_Transaction.TRANSACTION_STATUS_SKEY IS NULL

And run with a RowCount of 5 million, in 6 batches until there's nothing left to update.

Also, if possible, place the DB in simple logging mode while doing this to reduce log writes.

[Edit] I don't think SET NOCOUNT has any impact on performance.

• Hi,

You can try that. It gives a definte boost.  However I prefer to use a batchjob. As always, try to minimize the amount of inserts, deletes and updates in one transaction. If there are any indexes try to disable them and then enable them.

/*

update records in short transactions of a 100000 records a time

DECLARE @rc int

WHILE 1 = 1

BEGIN

BEGIN TRANSACTION

update statement

SELECT @rc = @@ROWCOUNT

COMMIT TRANSACTION

IF @rc <> 100000 BREAK

END

*/

My two cents

Helen
    --------------------------------
    Are you a born again. He is Jehova Jirah unto me

• Unfortunately the field isn't NULL but populated with the wrong values. However I can probably hijack the status flag on the record for the purpose of the update, and create solution using ROWCOUNT, WHERE clause and a WHILE loop so I don't have to be around to press F5.

Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated.

Daniel

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply