Update parent row from child row that has partial data.

• On the same table I have table rows that are broken from the import and went to the next row. I need to bring it back to the parent row. For example ID 1  Col3  supposed to have the value 'GHI' but the 'I' went to the 2nd row or ID 2 Col1 cell. Same applies to ID3 supposed to have 'GGG'  but it went to the next row 4 or ID 4.  Also, note that not every same filename has 2 rows some files have 1 row only but did not pose a problem. Any SQL statements of advise? This is MSSQL 2017.

Thanks

• You could try using LEAD

SELECT T.Id, T.DocName, T.col1, T.col2, 
    T.col3 +ISNULL(LEAD(col1) OVER (PARTITION BY T.DocName ORDER BY T.Id),'') col3
    FROM (VALUES (1,'File1','ABC','DEF','GH'),
    (2,'File1','I','JKH','LMN'),
    (3,'File2','DDD','RRR','GG'),
    (4,'File2','G','YYY','PPP'),
    (5,'File3','TTT','CCC','MMM'),
    (6,'File4','WWW','QQQ','ZZZ')) T(Id, DocName, col1, col2, col3)

Capture

• Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for your input but your code will not work for me. This is because the I have thousand of files that I am importing. Thus hard coded the file name will be tedious. I am looking for SQL code that can work with numerous file. Let me know. Thanks,

• pcq0125 wrote:

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for your input but your code will not work for me. This is because the I have thousand of files that I am importing. Thus hard coded the file name will be tedious. I am looking for SQL code that can work with numerous file. Let me know. Thanks,

That was just simulating the data in your table. You didn't supply any consumable data so instead of selecting from a table I select from values. You don't need to hard code anything!

• Jonathan,

You code works for hardcoded values. I replaced the Values with my #Temp1 table. I am getting an error. Any ideas?

FROM  #Temp1  T(Id, DocName, col1, col2, col3)

Msg 321, Level 15, State 1, Line 88

"ID" is not a recognized table hints option. If it is intended as a parameter to a table-valued function or to the CHANGETABLE function, ensure that your database compatibility mode is set to 90.

• pcq0125 wrote:

Jonathan,

You code works for hardcoded values. I replaced the Values with my #Temp1 table. I am getting an error. Any ideas?

FROM  #Temp1  T(Id, DocName, col1, col2, col3)

"ID" is not a recognized table hints option. If it is intended as a parameter to a table-valued function or to the CHANGETABLE function, ensure that your database compatibility mode is set to 90. 

The problem is you have the column names from the inline values table at the end of your query, just remove them:

SELECT T.Id,
    T.DocName,
    T.col1,
    T.col2,
    T.col3 + ISNULL(LEAD(col1) OVER(PARTITION BY T.DocName ORDER BY T.Id), '') col3
    FROM #Temp1 T
  • Plucked in your new code. I am still getting the same result.

• pcq0125 wrote:

Plucked in your new code. I am still getting the same result.

Which result? This?

• I meant your code did not return any errors but the output result is the same where I am before below

• Your data must be different from the data I provided.

If you want any further help you will have to supply some consumable data.

https://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/forum-etiquette-how-to-post-datacode-on-a-forum-to-get-the-best-help

• Jonathan,

Please see my data below. Also in the attachment with pipe delimited.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • Jonathan,

Actually your code works. I did not mention there is another parent row and when I exclude the parent row it works. Thanks so much for your help.

• last question. I tried to make it an update statement but got an error below. Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks

Update T = T.col3 + ISNULL(LEAD(col1) OVER(PARTITION BY T.DocName ORDER BY T.Id), '')

FROM #Temp1 T  Where T.col1 <>'Grandparent header row'

Msg 4108, Level 15, State 1, Line 87

Windowed functions can only appear in the SELECT or ORDER BY clauses.

• I would put the query in a CTE and update the CTE:

;WITH CTE AS
    (
    SELECT T.col3 col3,
    T.col3 + ISNULL(LEAD(col1) OVER(PARTITION BY T.DocName ORDER BY T.Id), '') Newcol3
    FROM #Temp1 T
    )
    UPDATE CTE
    SET CTE.Col3 = CTE.Newcol3
    WHERE CTE.Col3 <> CTE.Newcol3
  • Thank you it works.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply