Update replicated tables

• Hi Guys,

I have copied the mdf and ldf of a replicating db (publisher) in order to do a sp_attach_db on a new server. This I have done successfully, but now I want to continue developing this db and I am having difficulty adding new columns to the tables as it still thinks it is a replicating db.

I understand that once a db is replicating one cannot edit the table structure as usual but why does it still think it is a publisher on the new server?

Thanks for any suggestions

Adrian Michalski

• I don't have a good answer for you.  That is, (as far as I know) it gets really tricky to change the replication settings on a db once you've copied it in this manner to another place.

My solution when I was dealing with this issue was to manually drop all the replication before making a copy of the database.  Aside from that you can try and copy table data, to a new table then drop the old and rename the new.  But if you have declared RI, that can get tricky as well.

• Have you tried this:

If you attach a database to a server other than the server from which the database was detached, and the detached database was enabled for replication, you should run sp_removedbreplication to remove replication from the database

PRW.

Paul R Williams.

• You can also run sp_dboption 'databasename', 'published', 'false'. 

By the way, you can add columns to replicated databases but only thru the replication Wizard.  See BOL topic replication> schema changes.

Good luck!  TW

Kindest Regards,

TW

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply