Updating SQL From Access

• Newbie, so fogive me if this is in the wrong area.

Converting From Access to Sql Server. While working on the conversion, I would like to have any changed data from our Access database automatically imported and the corresponding records updated on SS.

Initially, I have setup the DTS to create the tables, drop all old data (rows), and completely re-populate the tables with ALL the Access database tables again (about a 30 minutes job).

If there any easier way than dropping all rows from SS and re-loading everything. (Basically, I want to have an up-to-the day (run at midnight) update procedure that would look at each table, if anything has changed (dropped rows, changed data, new records), make that same changes to the SS side of things).

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Biggest thing I want to avoid is dropping the tables themselves, did that once and lost all my diagrams!

Additionally (added bonus if possible), can it look at all tables and make comparisons (does exist, do the update), has been removed-remove the SS version, new tables created (Access)-create same table on SS?

• Have you considered linking the access tables after you first run your DTS package. That way anything entered into access automatically goes into SQL in real-time.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply