Updating SQL servers in the DMZ

• Greetings all,

I am sure this must be a common scenario but I can't seem to find any best practices. I need to pass data between my internal SQL servers and my dmz SQL servers. I've considered:

-ftp SSIS-generated files across the firewall

-linked servers which I imagine would require poking a hole in the firewall

General question so please chime in.

Thanks, Emily

• We want to limit the number of holes in the firewall so we've decided against linked servers and restricted data movement to pushing data into the DMZ servers with SSIS or DTS and replicating data to the DMZ servers.

Greg

• Greg Charles (11/25/2009)

We want to limit the number of holes in the firewall so we've decided against linked servers and restricted data movement to pushing data into the DMZ servers with SSIS or DTS and replicating data to the DMZ servers.

Ok so you have a hole in the firewall but you can only go from internal to DMZ and not the other direction? I need to go in both directions?

• How often does data need to be exchanged? If it is real-time, then it sounds like you would need replication setup, which would require a port opened up on the firewall. If it is not real-time and can be restricted to certain times, an SSIS/DTS package would probably suffice. You could make a package on each end and have them both transferred via FTP if transferring data between both servers is necessary.

Joie Andrew
    "Since 1982"

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply