updating using incremental values

• Hi,

I have a problem.  I have a table with three columns, column 1 is an int which can have multiple of the same number, column two is random text, column three is filled with null values.

I need to update the column with null values (column 3) using incrementing numbers starting at 0 and grouping on column 1.  The increment needs to be reset to 0 every time a new number is encountered in column 1.

declare @varX int

update CText_D

set D_DocNum = select @varX = @varX + 1

where D_SEQ = 4

I set D_SEQ = 4 (column 1) just for testing to see if I could get it to work just for the 4's.

Anyone have any idea's, I am really stumped, I thought about loops because it is a one time update so speed isn't as important but I don't know what I could loop on.

• Check this thread out... not for the faint of heart .

Extended challenge for everyone - answer

• Thank-you very much, it is just what I was looking for.

• HTH.

• Here is a copy of the design of my table:

[Column Name][Data Type][Length][Allow Null]

1 T_SEQ int 4 1

0 T_Text char 80 1

0 T_DocNum int 4 1

It turns out I didn't need to use T_Text to resolve the issue.

From Remi Gregoire I got the following resolution after a bit of tweeking which solved my issue.

Declare @Int as int,

@LastId as int

set @Int = -1

set @LastId = -1

Update dbo.CText_T

Set @Int = T_DocNum = Case When @LastId <> T_SEQ THEN -1

ELSE @Int

END + 1,

@LastId = T_SEQ

• I am not called a Newbie for nothing

I didn't really care if it would port since it is a one time update that needed to be run.  With the table I had it really isn't possible to get something that would be more predictable.  Since I used the GUI interface for creating the table I don't really have any DDL (thanks for explaining what it was), however here is some sample data taken after I ran the update.

2 APPOINTS, ROY L. PATTERSON                                                       0

3 BEWARE JOHN C & JOHN JAY OWENS ARE THE SAME SEE 14-16842                         0

4 BANK OF ASTORIA, MORTGAGE HOLDER                                                 0

5 INTERWEST AQUIIRED HOME SAVINGS & LOAN SEE COPY IN 14-16742                      0

6 COPY OF 1982 BANKRUPTCY IN FILE 14-16752                                         0

8 COPY OF BANKRUPTCY IN 14-17886, REVIEW BEFORE ISSUING ANY PRELIMS                0

9 MEMO ON FRAUD/CHICAGO TITLE DATED 8/20/91 SEE NOTEBOOK                           0

10 WARNING! IF ASKED TO EARLY ISSUE CALL JEFF STEFFENS/TRANS FOR INFO               0

11 COPY IN 14-18849                                                                 0

15 CALL CHICAGO LEGAL COUNCEL IF ORDERS INVOLVE THESE NAMES                         0

16 INTERFIRST MERGED WITH STANDARD                                                  0

17 COPY IN 14-21664 OF THE JERRY D SITTNER PENSION TRUST                            0

23 APPOINTS DAVID BODWAY                                                            0

Don't forget this issue has been resolved so don't spend too much time on it   I will try and remember all this next time I have a question.

• Thank you for your VERY considerate reply, Jereme Guenther! 

I wasn't born stupid - I had to study.

• Don't wanna insult you Joe, but follow the liink and read the whole thing. I strongly suggested using the answer you provided instead of the one he chose. The other one was more for run than anything else.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply