Updating XML stored in a column via update text function????

• Hey Gurus and Grand Masters 😎

I have xml stored in a column with data type = text. I need to update multiple substrings of data within that text column (ie update β€˜<data>1</data>’ to β€˜<data>Test</data>’, β€˜<data>2</data>’ to β€˜<data>Test2</data>’). In trying the Replace function, it returns this message: Argument data type text is invalid for argument 1 of replace function.

In light of this, I am using the updatetext function instead. Due to the column data type of text, this function requires a delete_lengthvalue in bytes. Right now I have string length, I am looking for the best way to calculate byte length. Is there a built-in function to do this? Multiplying by a factor seems to work in some cases but not all, I am still in the midst of testing this…

• Change the text data type to XML. This is not only to match data type and data content. You'll also get rid of a deprecated data type.

Once this is done you can use XQuery to modify the xml data in your table. It'll be a lot easier (once you got used to it).

A good resource for XQuery is Jacob Sebastians blog.

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply