Upgrade 7.0 SP4 to 2005 on Win2k3 - No upgrade option??

• Hi, all!

I am attempting to upgrade a SQL Server from SQL 7.0 RTM on NT 4.0 to SQL 2005 on Windows 2003. Thankfully, I have another server to do this with. I've thought about the options, and I decided that an in-place upgrade would be best because there are a host of password-encrypted DTS packages, some encrypted procs, jobs, etc. Plus, it's a system everyone is scared to touch because of fear of breaking it. :>

So, what I want to do is install SQL 7.0 on the new 2003 server and upgrade it to SQL 2005. So that's what I did: I restored the sytem databases and the one user database, then installed SP4. Things seem to be running fine. I also renamed the SQL server to that of the new server. @@SERVERNAME comes back correctly.

But now, when I go to run the SQL 2005 setup, it's not giving me the option to upgrade the SQL 7.0 instance. I can only install client components. It's supposed to be able to upgrade SQL 7.0 SP4, so I don't see why it's not giving me the option. It's not flagging any problems in the system check. Does anyone have any ideas as to why it's not offering me the option? I'm tempted to upgrade to SQL 2000 first, then 2005, but I'd rather go straight to SQL 2005.

Thanks a lot for your help!

• I wouldn't even consider trying that way. I'd advise you to move your databases by detach / attach, script your logins. your dts packages won't properly convert anyway and the easiest way to move them is to save as to your new server, make sure you've installed the sql 2000 dts engine.

I'd really suggest you test this out of production before even trying the real thing.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

• I'd tend to lean more towards what Colin recommends, because I don't tend to trust upgrades. I like clean installs, but that's me. In any case, have you run this tool yet on your new Windows 2003 server?

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Upgrade Advisor

There may be some things that SQL Server 2005 can't upgrade and this tool should point those out to you.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• I also like doing clean installs, but the problem is the password-protected DTS packages. I suppose I can hack the password via the parameter in the scheduled job. I know the packages won't truly migrate, but I know they can at least run using that DTS Package Task. Also, I tried to do a Copy Database, but it failed due to a problem with an encrypted procedure.

I did run the upgrade advisor; however, there was nothing flagged which would stop the install. Plus, the initial check before the install passed. There are issues which will force me to keep the compatibility level at 70, such as using *=.

This is just supposed to be a stop-gap measure to keep a legacy system running for a year or two until it gets consumed by SAP. I'm not supposed to change any code or the like. I'm thinking I will highly recommend using the Virtual Server Migration Tool to move it to a virtual machine.

BTW, what's interesting as well is that it's not even offering to do a side-by-side install. So the attach/detach won't work unless I get rid of SQL 7.0 first, I guess. What a pain in the butt.... :>

• Well, I figured it out. It was my own stupdity (most of life's problems usually are). When I copied the CDs locally, I copied the 2nd disk to the Servers folder and the first disk to the Tools folder. So the reason there was no upgrade option was that I was trying to install just the tools! Duh! Thanks for you help, though.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply