UPGRADE FROM 7.0 TO 2000

• Hi All,

I am a junior DBA who's managed to get a job as the only DBA in my company....scary stuff!

Anyway, these guys are still on SQL Server 7.0 and looking to upgrade to 2000 in the very near future. As you can imagine, for me being the only person responsible to do it, its pretty daunting! I'm gonna do it, but I dont even know where to begin....

We have several applications (written by magic) which use these databases. We have a development, test and live Server.

I know there will be puchasing as well as licencing issues (??) and a plan of how to go ahead with the upgrade will need to be done.

I'm just wondering, from all you experts out there, if you have any advise, pointers or even web documents which would help me along my way? Any help at all will be appreciated.

Cheers

Meg

• This is prefect, thankyou!

Also, our company is planning on upgrading to Exchange 2003 Server for the Mail client and upgrading all desktops to XP and servers to Server 2003. This wont happen for another 6-9 months. Do you think it would be worth waiting and upgrading straight to the next version of SQL Server (Yukon)??

Thanks

Meg

• IMHO, go to SQL2000 now. SQL7 to SQL2000 is a relatively pain-free exercise, and you'll learn quite a lot as you go. When Yukon comes along you'll be more confident.

Cheers,
    - Mark

• Meg,

You didn't specify wether you have replication or a cluster...If so, these things will definitely increase the difficulty. Other than this, it really is very simple.

• I would suggest going 2K straight ahead. You have very good futures that are lacking in SQL 7.0. For Example if your user do bulk inserts he must be DBO. But in SQL 2K you can use Bulk Insert Administrators.

Shas3

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply