upgrade from SQL 2005 to SQL 2008

• I am planning on upgrading my SQL 2005 EE to SQL 2008 EE. I have like 22 user database on my SQL 2005 Server. I would like to know what other upgrade tools are out there to check the code compatibility from SQL 2005 to SQL 2008 throughly and report of any un-known and un-seen issues? I have read a lot about upgrade advisor - and the conclusion i have reach is, upgrade advisor doesnt do that great of the job. is somebody aware of this? can you please suggest something here?

Thanks,

• I would recommend a Backup and Restore of the databases or Detach and Attach of the DB's.

And nothing much depriatiated from SQL 2005 so you should be good to go.

• Why do you think that upgrade advisor doesn't do a good job?

• I dont think - i believe it.

I myself ran it few times on SQL 2005 databases and it reports the following:

SQL Sever 2000 Meta data services packages are not supported with high Importance and when to fix is listed as BEFORE: when i click show affected objects, it doesnt show anything - but i could see: 1 objects listed here. Same complain for SQL Server 2000 DTS designer components as well.

dont know, what to expect all from this? what do you make out of this? any input?

• Do you have any packages using legacy components? upgraded from SQL 2000 using the wizard and never re-written?

• i dont have any packages on my sql 2005. i want to know, why do i see these errors?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply