Upgrade question RS 2005

• Hi,

A small question, I've got a Reporting services server installed in a standard edition on X86, upgrade it to SP2 after install.

Our development team now want to uses data driven subscriptions which is only avalable in the enterprise edition.

So no big deal I checked the upgrade path and that should not be an issue. So in with the CD. BUT, since the media is without SP2 it wont upgrade since I'm installling a older version on top of a newer one.

Message from Installer:

=== CUT ===

Your upgrade is blocked because the existing component is a later version than the version you are trying to upgrade to. To modify an existing SQL Server component, go to Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel, select the component you would like to modify, and then click Change/Remove.

=== CUT OFF ===

In add remove programs I don't seem to have the posibility to change edition, but only to add and remove componnets on the existing install.

I've checked both msdn and MS selcet to see if a media exist with SP2, it seems like this is not the case.

I looked into uninstalling SQL Server SP2, and to do this one would need to uninstall SQL Server 2005, and reinstall !

If of cause have plenty of reports already deployed, so I would like to avoid a reinstall and just do un in place upgrade.

So now I have only have one option uninstall everything and reinstall! or is there other options available?

Hope any ones have any good susgestions.

//SUN

• Do you see the service pack 2 listed separately in Add/Remove Programs?

If so, try uninstalling that. If not, I'd call Microsoft. They should have a way of upgrading Standard to Enterprise.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• In order to change editions, run the setup.exe from the command line with the option

SKUUPGRADE=1

It should ignore service packs, etc... and will allow you to change versions/editions.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Hi,

No SP2 does not show up in add/remove programs, and according to several articles i googled, the only way to get SP2 off a sql s005 install is to remove the entire sql install !

Maybe I'llspent the 100$ on a call to MS, just to perhaps avoid a reinstall.

Before I'll have a look at how much RSscripter can automate a future redeployment of the reports.

//SUN

• Try Matt's suggestion first.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply