Upgrade SQL Server 7 to 2000 using Terminal Services

• Hi, I have a Windows 2000 SP4 box that is running SQL Server 7. For some reason, when I invoked the setup.exe from the SQL Server 2000 CD image. The welcome screen never showed up. Through different testings, we found out that Terminal Services had no problem starting up the setup.exe program to show the welcome screen. What an irony!

My question to you folks is "have you tried to upgrade SQL Server 7 to 2000 using Terminal Services?" Did it work? Any pitfalls?

Thanks,

Bill

• "have you tried to upgrade SQL Server 7 to 2000 using Terminal Services?"

Yes.

"Did it work?"

Yes, eventually, but it does leave the directory structure rather messy. You will have troubling finding files and executables, as they will be in un-expected directories.

"Any pitfalls?"

Yes, there is a bug in the upgrade process and you should not install from the original source media.

See the patch to the upgrade routines at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q300676

Instead of upgrading, if new hardware is an option, this will be less risky.

SQL = Scarcely Qualifies as a Language

• Unless you can get to the console of the server you'll have difficulties. The only other method of remotely upgrading that works well enough (although not entirely painlessly) is to install PC AnyWhere. As for leaving your directory structures a complete mess, well this upgrade will certainly do that for you. My advice is to acquire another server if possible and perform a fresh installation, then upgrade the database(s) on the new server.

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• I've had issues trying to patch SQL 7 remotely.  This link may help too.

PRB: Setup on Windows 2000 Fails Through Terminal Client

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;246694

Not sure if this will work or not, I haven't had time to try it yet.  So attempt at your own risk. 

You may be able to "fool" it by logging in remotely and forcing the session ID to think that you are at the console.  The XP builtin Remote Desktop Connection supports a switch "/console".  You need to create a shortcut to the Remote Desktop exe and then modify the shortcut properties to include the /console switch.  So the target would look something like: %SystemRoot%\System32\mstsc.exe /console

Once you get logged in, you can confirm that you have a console connection by opening Terminal Services Manager and looking at the session ID.  It will be 0 if you successfully connected to the console and something different if not.  Good luck.

• After re-reading the post, I realize that I did NOT use Terminal Services to perform the upgrade but instead used Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP).

You can download RDP from http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/tools/rdclientdl.mspx

Regarding some alternative, instead of getting an entire server, you could pull the existing hard drives, install new hard drives, run all clean installs for Windows and SQL Server 2000, and finally restore the databases which will automatically upgrade from 7 to 2000. If there is a problem, just re-use the old disk drives.

SQL = Scarcely Qualifies as a Language

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply