Upgrade SS2K5 to 2K8R2 for default and named instances

• I'm tasked with upgrading the two instances of SQL Server 2005 on the same Windows server to 2008R2. There is a default instance and a named instance on this server.

I'm wondering with which instance I should begin. Looking through documentation, can't find that it mentions this scenario, so any links or experiences will be helpful. Not sure if it will just do both instances at the same time.

Hoping to get past any gotchas before I begin.

TIA.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sacramento SQL Server users group - http://sac.sqlpass.org
    Follow me on Twitter - @SQLDCH

Yeah, well...The Dude abides.
  • SQLDCH (2/9/2012)

I'm tasked with upgrading the two instances of SQL Server 2005 on the same Windows server to 2008R2. There is a default instance and a named instance on this server.

I'm wondering with which instance I should begin. Looking through documentation, can't find that it mentions this scenario, so any links or experiences will be helpful. Not sure if it will just do both instances at the same time.

Hoping to get past any gotchas before I begin.

TIA.

The process is simpler if you uninstall and install. In my experience, you can start with any of your two instances.

And no, if you upgrade, you upgrade one instance at a time.

• Another vote for uninstall + fresh install.

Also, check the upgrade advisor for deprecated / incompatible features.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Agree with the previous users opinions on installing, it would be a better way..

If you are planning to do a in-place upgrade, then I don't think you cannot upgrade 2 instances at the same time, you will have to do it one after the other..

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Join on Facebook Page Facebook.comLearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

• Thanks for all the suggestions, wish they answered the question though. I'll post back my experience with the two instance upgrade when it's complete.

Sacramento SQL Server users group - http://sac.sqlpass.org
    Follow me on Twitter - @SQLDCH

Yeah, well...The Dude abides.
  • If you plan to uninstall and fresh install, keep in mind you will have to list out plenty of things before you uninstall.

Script out SQL Agent Jobs, Linked Servers, Logins and note down the Instance name of the named Instance, what protocols are enabled on the server, what tcp/ip port does the instances currently listen on. (to ensure you configure the same after 2008 install, to ensure your apps using TCP/IP,port# will not fail).

Export all of your SSIS packages stored in MSDB (if there are any).

Last but not least, have your databases backed up....:-)

All the Best!!!.....

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Join on Facebook Page Facebook.comLearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

• ...and reboot your machine after each uninstall.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply