upgrade to 2005 from 2000

• Hi,

I am try to upgrade from sql 2000 to 2005 and I am getting an error when running sql 2005 upgrade advisor saying.

Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication other memory is corrupt.

I have reinstalled .NET 2.0. I don't think my memory is corrupt as I get it on several machines I try. Can someone please help.

thanks.

• i had problems with sql 2005 installation and the cause for me was missing files. the person who distributed the setupfiles didn't notice he forgot a large chunk of files.

point i'm getting at: the error message didn't tell me "setup files missing" but some very weird message totally unrelated to the cause.

as you have multiple machines with issues perhaps it's related to corrupt setupfiles you obtain from the same damaged source. assuming you have excluded other possibilities.

whap happens if you do the sql 2005 on a clean/fresh machine with no sql 2000 ? (this leaves out the upgrade 2000 part so it doesn't proof setupfiles are okay btw for that road).

• The upgrade advisor functions, I know because I've used it on multiple machines. So the problem is either your installation or your OS. Clean it up, download a new copy, try reinstalling. If that doesn't work, you may need to get in touch with Microsoft support.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply