Upgrade to MSSQL 2008 R2

• I use the developer edition of MSSQL . (64 bit I think)

The developer edition is the enterprise version of the software.

Currently I am using 2005 edition developer edition. Any my localhost goes to MSSQL 2005 myLaptop namespace. I have several MSSQL 2005 databases I wish to upgrade to 2008 R2/

Quesiton: How does one upgrade the MSSQL 2005 to 2008 R2, and also upgrade the 2005 version databases??

I have an idea but I just want to avoid disasters doing this task, and I want my localhost to point to the new upgrade.

Hows too's, step by step welcome..thanks:-)

• Digs, I think there are a couple of questions you need to answer before you are able to go ahead with your upgrade to 2008 R2.

Are you moving to new hardware to house the 2008 R2 Instance ?

If not then you can either do an inplace upgrade or do an install of 2008 R2 as a named instance on the same server as your 2005 instance of SQL Server.

What edition are you wanting needing to upgrade to ? Standard Edition, Enterprise Edition

Confirm whether your server is 32/64 bit. The amount of memory in your server and how much is available for use by SQL Server will definately be impacted on this.

Have you purchased an edition of 2008 R2 ? How are you licensing your instance ? at the cpu (or more precisely socket). I guess this comes down to the number of users using your system as well as whether your system is internet facing or not.

I would suggest as your first point of call is to run the SQL Server 2008 R2 Upgrade Advisor. This will give you any issues that should be looked and fixed prior to doing the upgrade.

To make this the safest approach I would recommend either a New instance on your existing server (so that your exisitng instance is still in place and running) or onto new hardware.

You can then perform and backup and restore of your databases into your new 2008 R2 Instance. You will need to do some post restore tasks to get your DB's fully upgraded.

Once you have the DB's into your new 2008 R2 instance you will need to undertake some regression testing of your applications to ensure that they work correctly as they are now. You should also look at getting a performance baseline of your existing system to compare after your upgrade to ensure your system does perform appropriately.

This approach gives you a fall back position. I hope that this has given you a starting point for creating your Upgrade checklist and start your upgrade.

MCT
    MCITP Database Admin 2008
    MCITP Database Dev 2008
    www.jnrit.com.au/Blog.aspx

• Sorry I didnt make setup all that clear.

The server: My laptop, Windows XP SP3

Edition: Enterprise, MSSQL developer 2005

Type: 64 bit

Current namespace: MyLaptop ( ie thats where local goes to)

CPUs: only one in my laptop, not a fancy dual core job !

I just want to upgrade to : MSSQL 2008 R2??

So will it be simple?

• Yes Digs you should not have any issue doing a second install of 2008 R2 and then do your migration. You will be limited to the version of SQL Server that you can go due due to the OS you are running. This is the harware and software requirements for 2008 R2. Use this to confirm your environment and whether you are able to upgrade your OS or not. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143506.aspx

MCT
    MCITP Database Dev 2008

• Ok thanks, I guess from why you say this is my step by step process

1) Run .bak backup files of my MSSQL 2005 databases

2) Install MSSQL 2008 R2 64 bit

...This means I have MSSQL 2005 and MSSQL 2008 R2 running on my laptop, together.

3) Create Databases in MSSQL 2008 R2 with the same names as those in MSSQL 2005.

4) Install .bak files into NEW database found in (3).

Question: How does my laptop know that I want MSSQL 2008 R2 to be my defualt server, or localhost server, what do I do to achieve this??

Can you add to the above?

• I am a little confused with your question. Once you have completed your installation and migrated your DB's you will need to change your application connections to point to your new instance.

You could stop your old 2005 instance using configuration manager, and change the settings so it does not auto start when your laptop starts up.

MCT
    MCITP Database Dev 2008

• ok thanks:-)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply