Upgrade Win or SQL first ?

• We are planning to upgrade SQL Server 2000 to 2005. Currently our OS is still running Windows 2000 Adv. Server SP4, I wonder If I should upgrade the OS first then the SQL ? Is there any problem If I upgrade SQL first then the OS ? and what are the pros and cons ?

Thanks in advance,

Jimmy

• simple windows first..

-Krishnan

• I would take a slightly different approach.

Backup databases.

Upgrade SQL to 2005.

Backup the converted databases.

Delete old OS and install fresh.

Install SQL 2005.

Service Pack apps and OS.

Restore databases.

For some reasons this method may not be practicle, but from the information supplied this is the course I would take.

Marc

• Thanks to both of you. Are there anyone else would like to share your experience ?

Thanks...Jimmy

• I'd say Marc is on the right track. I've upgraded a number of servers, and I use the following steps:

backup databases + os / etc (to separate network location, and tape)

delete os / repartition

install os

install sql server 2005

service packs

restore databases

SQL Server 2005 will allow you to restore a 2000 database, and it will automaticaly upgrade the database once the restore is completed. So there's no need to upgrade before re-installing the os. In fact if you upgrade sql then reinstall the os, you'll have installed sql server 2005 twice, which can be a waste of time.

Julian Kuiters
    juliankuiters.id.au

• I concur, doing a fresh OS install is much better than upgrade as you may have a lot of legacy stuff left behind you don't need. Starting fresh allows you to baseline the server at each step of the install process of all applications you need on the server.

• Thank you all for your valuable insight, I really appreciate it.

Jimmy

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply