Upgrading from 2000 to 2008 performance issue

• I am planning and testing an upgrade infrastructure of a OLTP database that is running on 2000 and moving to 2008. The problem that I'm having is that there is one query that has degraded in performance tremendously and I cant figure it out. I've Used SP DTA Perfmon took out some of the hints and it did perform better but still not up to the performance of 2000. The only thing that I'm seeing that could be an issue is that the 2 biggest tables have 55mil and 88mil rows.

My question is could tables that are that big and have NOT been partitioned be the issue going from 2000 to 2008? Thanks.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

• have the statistics been updated since the upgrade?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• Check the indexes and as well as fragmentation level too

• Pradyothana Shastry (10/8/2010)

Check the indexes and as well as fragmentation level too

would an upgrade change the fragmentation level?

• steveb. (10/8/2010)

Pradyothana Shastry (10/8/2010)

Check the indexes and as well as fragmentation level too

would an upgrade change the fragmentation level?

Assuming either a restore or attach style upgrade.... nope.

There are some edge cases where marginal TSQL code that ran OK in 2000 no longer runs well in 2005/2008 because the optimizer is a bit more stringent. After you update all the statistics, preferably with a full scan, if the performance doesn't improve, can you post the query and the execution plan here?

By the way, for what it's worth, the DTA is nigh on to useless if your queries are at all complicated.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• On an upgrade, you should be rebuilding the indexes... I am pretty sure this is MS recommended or in BOL

• I certainly saw that when I upgraded from 2000 to 2005. There were a series of report queries that began to perform horribly in 05 that worked well in 00. When I read the queries I asked how they ever possibly worked at all. There were definitely some loopholes that got closed in 2005 and later and you will probably have to re-design the query if reindexing doesn't solve the problem.

Not that this will help this situation (it won't) but you should also do a DBCC CHECKDB WITH DATA_PURITY and change the page verify to CHECKSUM. Just a standard "should do" on an upgrade from 2000.

• while we are there dbcc updateusage(0) as well

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• be sure that the correct datatypes are used , not relying on implicit conversions

• See "SQL Server 2008 Upgrade Technical Reference Guide":

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=66d3e6f5-6902-4fdd-af75-9975aea5bea7&displaylang=en

Here are the steps:

1. Change db compatibility level to 100 on all upgraded databases

2. (ONLY for database upgrades from SQL Server 2000 to SQL Server 2005/2008)

Execute DBCC CHECKDB WITH DATA_PURITY to check the database for column values that are not valid or are out of range.

After you have successfully run DBCC CHECKDB WITH DATA_PURITY against an upgraded database,

you do not need to specify the DATA_PURITY option again because SQL Server will automatically maintain "data purity."

This is the only DBCC CHECKDB check that you need to run as a post-upgrade task.

3. Run DBCC UPDATEUSAGE to correct any incorrect page or row counts.

USE dbName;

go

DBCC UPDATEUSAGE (dbName);

GO

4. Update statistics by using the sp_updatestats stored procedure to ensure all statistics are up-to-date:

USE dbName;

go

EXEC sp_updatestats;

go

(UPDATE STATISTICS [tblname] WITH FULLSCAN may be advisable for a few select tables, especially the larger ones)

5. Run this on all upgraded databases:

alter database [your-db-name] set PAGE_VERIFY CHECKSUM

__________________________________________________________________________________
    SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables[/url]
    Persisting SQL Server Index-Usage Statistics with MERGE[/url]
    Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 2[/url]

• reggie burns-317942 (10/7/2010)

I am planning and testing an upgrade infrastructure of a OLTP database that is running on 2000 and moving to 2008. The problem that I'm having is that there is one query that has degraded in performance tremendously and I cant figure it out. I've Used SP DTA Perfmon took out some of the hints and it did perform better but still not up to the performance of 2000. The only thing that I'm seeing that could be an issue is that the 2 biggest tables have 55mil and 88mil rows.

My question is could tables that are that big and have NOT been partitioned be the issue going from 2000 to 2008? Thanks.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

All the others have posted some good suggestions but I've recently been bitten by an "enhancement" in 2008 and Jo Pattyn alluded to it above. SQL Server 2008 is a whole lot less forgiving about mismatched datatypes in a query. In 2000 and 2005, such mismatches were frequently handled very nicely in that the optimizer would make the correct choice on how to handle the mismatch. In 2008, the optimizer is a whole lot more picky about it. Check the joins on the query in question and make sure that the predicates being joined are the exact same datatype or you could end up with an "accidental cross join" behind the scenes that will produce millions and even billions of internal rows that just aren't necessary.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Thanks for all the input.

After running update statics on 5 of the must active tables the queries are running much better, as if it was still in the SQL 2000.

One more question I wanted to know since I haven't performed this test. Is it as simple and straight forward to assume that if I need to move my 2000 cluster DBs to a new SAN environment and using 2008 cluster I would

1. Detached DBs

2. Copy to new 2008 SAN environment

3. Reattach DBs in new 2008 SAN environment

4. Change compability level to 100

5. Run checkdb with data-purity for errors, Run updateusage, Run sp_updatestats

Or

1. Backup production DB with log or diff

2. Restore on new 2008 environment

3. continue from step 4-5

I have limited downtime for my upgrade and I wanted to see if any suggestions of which would be the best option or the quickest option.

Thanks for everyones feedback.

• reggie burns-317942 (10/11/2010)

Thanks for all the input.

After running update statics on 5 of the must active tables the queries are running much better, as if it was still in the SQL 2000.

One more question I wanted to know since I haven't performed this test. Is it as simple and straight forward to assume that if I need to move my 2000 cluster DBs to a new SAN environment and using 2008 cluster I would

1. Detached DBs

Or

I have limited downtime for my upgrade and I wanted to see if any suggestions of which would be the best option or the quickest option.

Both options are equivalent in my view, and it all comes down to personal preference.

If you do go with the backup/restore option, make sure you take a final backup of the tail of the log like this:

BACKUP LOG [dbname] TO DISK = '...' WITH NORECOVERY;

This will be the final backup to restore on the target server.

__________________________________________________________________________________
    SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables[/url]
    Persisting SQL Server Index-Usage Statistics with MERGE[/url]
    Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 2[/url]

• reggie burns-317942 (10/11/2010)

Thanks for all the input.

1. Detached DBs

Or

Personally, we've always used the backup & restore method because it does nothing at all to the old system. In the event you need to go back to it (has never happened yet, knock wood), you can, almost instantly. It's just a tad safer than the dettach/attach approach.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• OK After further testing I still have one query that still has increased its performance with the upgrade. I've studied the Exec plan and see that there is a scan of about 50mil records where there probably should be a seek. the plan showed a 95% cost on this seek.

Tables used are

1. Tickets=55mil

2. Seats=85mil

Events=200thou

Section=35thou

All are seeks except for Tickets is a scan and the programmer uses a inner loop join.

Another question why use a inner loop join vs a inner join?

Here is the query

update Ticket with(rowlock,updlock) set TicketState = 2, MasterTicketID = #PackageTicket.MasterTicketID, TimePurchased = '2010-10-13 09:47:18.57', PaymentInfoID = 10872192, PaymentInfoIDOrig = 10872192, TicketConvFee =

CASE WHEN SubPriceDetail.ConvFeeBoxOffice IS NOT NULL THEN SubPriceDetail.ConvFeeBoxOffice

WHEN MasterPriceDetail.ConvFeeBoxOffice IS NOT NULL THEN MasterPriceDetail.ConvFeeBoxOffice

ELSE Event.ConvenienceFee END , TicketEmbFee = CASE WHEN SubPriceDetail.EmbFeeBoxOffice IS NOT NULL THEN SubPriceDetail.EmbFeeBoxOffice ELSE MasterPriceDetail.EmbFeeBoxOffice END , TicketCost = CASE WHEN SubPriceDetail.PriceBox IS NOT NULL THEN SubPriceDetail.PriceBox ELSE MasterPriceDetail.PriceBox END , TicketCommission = ISNULL(SubPriceDetail.CommissionBoxOffice, MasterPriceDetail.CommissionBoxOffice)

,Ticket.LinearBarcode = case

when datalength(Ticket.LinearBarcode) >= datalength(isnull(MasterPriceDetail.ClientProductCode, MasterPrice.ClientProductCode))

then isnull(MasterPriceDetail.ClientProductCode, MasterPrice.ClientProductCode) +

substring(Ticket.LinearBarcode,datalength(isnull(MasterPriceDetail.ClientProductCode, MasterPrice.ClientProductCode))+1,100)

else Ticket.LinearBarcode end

FROM Ticket with(rowlock,updlock)

INNER JOIN Event with (nolock) ON Ticket.EventID = Event.EventID INNER JOIN Seats with (nolock) ON Ticket.SeatID = Seats.SeatID INNER JOIN Sections with (nolock) ON Sections.SectionID = Seats.SectionID LEFT OUTER JOIN #PackageTicket with(nolock) on Ticket.TicketID = #PackageTicket.SubTicketID

INNER LOOP JOIN Ticket as MasterTicket with (nolock) ON MasterTicket.TicketID = isnull(#PackageTicket.MasterTicketID, Ticket.TicketID)

JOIN Event as MasterEvent with (nolock) ON MasterEvent.EventID = MasterTicket.EventID

JOIN Seats as MasterSeats with (nolock) ON MasterSeats.SeatID = MasterTicket.SeatID

JOIN Sections as MasterSections with (nolock) on MasterSections.SectionID = MasterSeats.SectionID

LEFT OUTER JOIN Performance with (nolock) ON Performance.EventID = Ticket.EventID

and Performance.PerformanceTime = '1990-01-01 00:00:00.000'

JOIN Price as MasterPrice with (nolock) ON MasterPrice.EventID = MasterEvent.EventID

AND MasterPrice.PriceName = case when MasterEvent.PerformanceEvent = 1 and Performance.PriceName is not null then Performance.PriceName else MasterEvent.PriceName end

AND MasterPrice.EffectiveTime =

(

select max(EffectiveTime)

from Price with (nolock)

where EventID = MasterEvent.EventID

and PriceName = case when Event.PerformanceEvent = 1 and Performance.PriceName is not null then Performance.PriceName else MasterEvent.PriceName end

and EffectiveTime <= current_timestamp

)

LEFT OUTER JOIN PriceDetail MasterPriceDetail with (nolock) ON MasterPriceDetail.PriceID = MasterPrice.PriceID AND MasterPriceDetail.TierGroup = MasterSections.TierGroup

and MasterPriceDetail.MemberLevel = '' and MasterPriceDetail.TierOrder = 0

LEFT OUTER JOIN Price SubPrice with (nolock) ON SubPrice.EventID = Event.EventID

AND SubPrice.PriceName = case when Event.PerformanceEvent = 1 and Performance.PriceName is not null then Performance.PriceName else Event.PriceName end

AND SubPrice.EffectiveTime =

(

select max(EffectiveTime)

from Price with (nolock)

where EventID = Event.EventID

and PriceName = case when Event.PerformanceEvent = 1

and Performance.PriceName is not null then Performance.PriceName else Event.PriceName end

and EffectiveTime <= current_timestamp

)

INNER JOIN PriceDetail as SubPriceDetail with (nolock) ON SubPriceDetail.PriceID = SubPrice.PriceID AND SubPriceDetail.TierGroup = Sections.TierGroup

and SubPriceDetail.MemberLevel = '' and SubPriceDetail.TierOrder = 0

WHERE Ticket.TicketID IN (0,31673862,31673863,31673864,31673865,31673866,31673867,31673868,31673869,31673870,31673871,31673872,31673873,31673874,31673879,31673880,31673881,31673882,31673883,31673887,31673888,31673889,3167389

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply