Upgrading From SQL Server 7 to 2005

• Hello, We have a few of our customers that are using SQL Server 7 and I need to upgrade them to SQL Server 2005. I was wondering if there are some good articles on any compatibility issues or any issues at all?

Any information on this compatibility mode would be greatly appreciated. Thank you,

David

Best Regards,

~David

• Best thing I could recommend is to use the Upgrade Advisor. I know there's not usually a lot of work done to move from 2 versions back.

• Steve Jones - Editor (1/11/2008)

Best thing I could recommend is to use the Upgrade Advisor. I know there's not usually a lot of work done to move from 2 versions back.

I agree with Steve completly. Upgrade Advisor is the best bet. I just want to add one thing to what Steve has advised. You have to check your applications that are running against it for Embedded SQLs that does not comply with SQL 2005.

-Roy

• Okay, if I understand correctly, by upgrading my 7.0 database to 2005 it would have as compatibility level of 70, correct. At what point if any should I set the compatibility level to 90 using sp_dbcmptlevel?

Will the Upgrade Advisor do this for me?

Thank you,

David

Best Regards,

~David

• The Advisor will tell you what are the issues that you might face. Advisor will not upgrade the SQL engine to 2005.

The best way to do it would be to run the advisor and see what all issues are there. Make those corrections that they recommend in SQL 7 itself. Then Install the SQL 2005 in another box. Take a back up from 7 and restore it in 2005.

Or after making all the changes that the Advisor recommended, you can make set the 2005 as a warm stand by and set up all the users and rights. When it is time to pull the plug on the SQL 7, close all connection and restore the last transaction log and then switch over to 2005.

-Roy

• Hello David,

The Upgrade Advisor will not change the compatibility level to 90 but keept it as 70. You need to change it but before changing it you need to check for the syntax differences if any between SQL v7.0 and SQL v9.0 (2005).

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Lucky

• Thank you all. This helps a great deal. Being that we do not have extra servers, I plan to do a side by side migration.

David

Best Regards,

~David

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply