Upgrading SQL2000 from Standard to Enterprise

• Hi,

I am adding more memory to the server (from 2Gb to 4Gb) and going to upgrade SQL2000 from Standard to Enterprise version.

I have subscription replication running on SQL, DTS jobs, maintenance jobs.

Are any action that I have to take before/after the upgrade. Or the upgrade should take care of everything (I hope so).

Thank you.

Leonid

• You forgot to say what OS you were using, that might have an impact on the advice we can give you  

• The OS is Windows2000 server+ SP4 (5.00.2195).

SQL Server 2000 (standard) + SP3a  (8.00.760)

Thanks in advance,

Leonid

• From what I can see you're not doing anything that will cause you problems.

In order to use the extra memory (over 2GB) with sql you're have to add the /3G into your boot.ini file but apart from that it should work fine in my opinion.

Here's a link that might help explain things for you

http://asia.cnet.com/builder/architect/db/0,39009328,39220655,00.htm

Anyone else care to comment?

• Thank you Mike.

In the linked article: "If you have more memory than 4GB then it's time to move up to SQL Server Enterprise. ... SQL Server Enterprise edition is capable of using more than just the 3GB of memory that SQL Server Standard is capable of using."

I am confused. If I have 4 GB memory and /3GB switch . Does it mean that I can run SQL2000 Standard? Or I need update to SQL2000 Enterprise? Any difference?

For 4GB memory do I need to enable AWE switch?

Thank you,

Leonid

• no problem

You can safely use SQL Enterprise Edition with 4GB; standard was capped at 2GB nomatter what you did. the /3G switch just tells the OS to use the 4th GB for itself and allocate more memory for SQL Server.

AWE memory is not needed in your configuration as you only have 4GB, I wouldn't worry about it.

• /3G or /3GB switch?

I seen a '/3G ' in the article and your post, but assumed that it was mistype.

L

• definately a mistype

/3GB

• Mike,

Thank you for your help

Leonid

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply