Upgrading subscription server

• Hi Everyone,

Transactional replication has been setup and running perfectly from OLTP to Data warehouse servers in my company and there are no issues with this. Now Data warehouse servers are upgrading to the new hardware and server will be a new server name(Assume the current data warehouse server is Server1 and new upgraded one is Server2).  This upgrading process will be taking about 36 hours to 48 hours and obviously the replication is stopped during this period. After that transactional replication should be resumed whereever it is stopped before upgrading process to new server (Server2) without reinitializing the snapshot. I am planning to achieve this task by upgrading the system tables values and distribution agent as below.

1) Stop all replication agents (snapshot, distribution and log reader agent). I am aware of log file growth since the marked transactions are not moved to distribution database through log reader agent .

2) Update the srvid and name column values to the new server id and name in the syssubscriptions system table in the publication database.

3) Update the distribution agent job script.

-Subscriber [Server2(New upgraded server name)] -SubscriberDB [Subscriber Database] -Publisher [Publisher Server Name] -Distributor [Distributor Server Name] -DistributorSecurityMode 1 -Publication [Publication Name] -PublisherDB [Publisher Database]    -Continuous

It seems this is theortically correct but the replication is not still working for some reason.

It will be great If anyone come across this situation and share your experiences.

Thanks,

Bhushan

• the best solution is to reconfigure replication.

You are "guessing" the places where you will be changing the names and that is *very* risky and undocumented.

For one you probably need to update sysservers registration and the linked server created at the distributor too. If your subscription is pull the "originating_server" column of sysjobs on the subscriber need also be updated.

But those are the "only" places I could think of besides where you changed stuff. My advice is for you to recreate the subscription.

* Noel

• I guess the concern here is "not to do snapshot for reinit" work, if this is true, I'd use a backup file from the publisher side and restore it to the subscirber. Check "To initialize a subscription with a backup". But still I agree with Noel, the replication should be reconfigured, however you can script out the original script, and replace the server name in the script using your new warehouse server name, and then run the script to set up the replication

HTH,

JY

• Does the server have static IP? If so it may be simplest to just add a value in your hosts file (%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts) that points the new server name to the correct IP address.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply