Upgrading to sp3

• Here's my dilema. I'm upgrading our SQL server to sp3. The users are using thick client in order to access the database that resides on SQL. Do I have to upgrade the clients to sp3 as well? If so, how and which file do I use? Do I run the same sp3 on the clients as on the server? I don't know much about SQL, I know the basic.. please help.

thanks.

• You don't have to, no, if it's just a thick client. You'll try and want to keep MDAC versions in synch. I believe MDAC 2.7 SP1 Rerfresh is what is packaged with SP3a, but you'll want to confirm that (it's been a long day). If they are using the SQL Server client tools (Enterprise Mnanager, Query Analyzer, etc.), you'll want to run sp3a on their systems as well.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• bkelley, thanks. I have more questions. a) What is MDAC? b) How/Where do I determine what version we are currently using? c) What file do I use to upgrade it if current version is not compatible with SP3a? d)For those using the client tools, do I run the same sp3a file as on the server, or should I be running the desktop engine (msde?)? or is msde something different.

Thank you for your help.

• MDAC = Microsoft Data Access Components

Location on Microsoft's site: MSDN Data Access and Storage home

Under Downloads | Product and Update Downloads you'll find the various MDAC install versions. Be warned, installing an MDAC version is generally an irreversible process.

Under Downloads |Tool and Utility Downloads there is a link for the Component Checker. Run this on a particular system and it'll tell you what MDAC version (approximately... there are a lot of files that could have different versions) is on the machine.

As for the SP3 install, use the same as you did for the server. MSDE is something different. It's a stripped down version of SQL Server and doesn't contain the full toolset or capabilities. For instance, Enterprise Manager and Query Analyzer are not packaged with the MSDE tools.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Got it! Thanks for the info.

• I have one last question, when I tried to apply SP3 on the client, I got an error message which said that no SQL sever was install. I understand that, but shouldn't I be using the SP3 to upgrade the client? Or should I run the latest MDAC version? If I have MDAC 2.6 SP2 on the machine, shouldn't the SP# upgrade it to MDAC 2.7 SP1 Refresh?  

thanks again

Elsa

• If they've installed the SQL Server client tools from the SQL Server CD, then you should apply SP3. These would be Enterprise Manager, SQL Profiler, Query Analyzer, etc.

If the client computer doesn't have these tools, apply the MDAC.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply