Upgrading to SQL 2016 - Any Gotcha's

• Hi all,

Our SQL estate is predominantly SQL 2012, with the odd 2014 in the mix. Given Microsoft are ending mainstream support for 2012 in July, I've finally managed to convince people to upgrade to 2016. 

Given we have some linked server action going on between different versions at present, 2012>2014 and 2014>2012 and our primary SSIS server is 2012 at present.
    Does anyone know of any issues or gotcha's with updating servers to 2016? The reason I ask is I will be in a situation where linked servers will go from 2012/2014 to 2016 and vice version until all servers are upgraded. 

I'm fairly sure that's ok but I thought it best to check that out before finalising my plan and getting started.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Nic

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• The linked servers will be fine. What will catch you is the cardinality estimator change that was made for SQL 2014. Most queries either stay the same or experience a minor performance improvement. A small number will probably get a performance degradation and it can be severe.

You need to test your workload before you upgrade the production server.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I just migrated a whole bunch of SQL Servers from 2008R2 to 2016 and things went well for the databases.  As Gail said the only thing you will want to test is the Cardinality Estimator and on those that have a hard time, you can change a new Database Scoped configuration option to enable the Legacy Cardinality Estimator for that one database.  We have not had to do this in Production, but we did for QA until we find a solution for sqlpackage.exe to have queries that won't time out with the new CE.

The other thing we have done is to set the RecoveryInterval on each database in 2016 (130 Compat Level) to 60 so that we can use the smoothing of the IOs spoken out there in the form of a -k startup parameter.

But we have been OK for months now on the upgrade.

Ben Miller
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, SQL MVP
    @DBAduck - http://dbaduck.com

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply