Urgent-help

• By mistake i installed the sql server 2005 over the default instance of sql server 2000.

I do not have the backup of master DB in sql server 2000.can i take the back of master DB in sql server 2005 can i restore it on sql server 2000.first i will installed sqlserver 2000 to reaplce sql server 2005

Thanks

Hammad

• Nope. SQL Server 2005 and SQL Server 2000 Master databases aren't interchangeable. I don't know what the differences are, but there are differences in stored procedures, how certain things are organized, etc. Remember, Master stores the schema of the whole thing and the two versions are much different.

-SQLBill

• Did you do a complete overwrite, or did it do an upgrade?  Are your other databases gone or did they upgrade.

I don't believe you can back up a 2005 database and restore it to 2000.

If you did a new install, are you sure you overwrote the old master and msdb databases?

You can start the new 2005 server, script out all the logins and other items you wish to preserver from Master and msdb, reinstall 2000 and run the scripts to re-populate the new master and msdb.  If the user databases weren't upgraded, you can probably attach them to the new 2000 installation.

Without a backup, I don't think there's much else you can do other than rebuild from scratch.

And then again, I might be wrong ...
    David Webb

• When some installs SQL 2005 on top 2000 all databases including using databases will be upgraded unless some detached user dbs before intalling 2005....

If the user database are upgraded to 2005 and you don't have the 2000 backups...

only option will be Install 2000 and copy the data using DTS/BCP from 2005 to 2000...

For system databases I agree with david...

MohammedU
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply