Urgent help required)T log back up job is failing continuosly

• Hi

Iam very new to sql server and we are doing migration from sql server 2000 to 2005. We restored all the backups of the databases from 2000 to 2005 and we created the maintenance plans for the fullback up and tlog back up and sheduled them as jobs .But unfortunately  the tlog  back up job is continuosly failing and when ever i tried to run the job it is running for some time and giving message as failed. I didnt understand why it is failing .Can any one pls help me how to figure it out. Pls tell me in deatail where I have to check and what i have to do to resolve this problem.

Its really urgent. Pls help me out

thankyou

pavan posani

• hi pavan,

Did u check the recovery model? if the recovery model of your db is simple u cannot perform Transaction log backup...........only full backup is possible.May be some of ur DBs mite be in simple recovery model thats y the job is starting to run but failing to complete........

Rgds

Deepak

[font="Verdana"]- Deepak[/font]

• Hi deepak

I have checked all my dbs and they are in full recovery mode and i didnt understand why they are failing.

please help me out of this

thankyou

pavan posani

• one thing you can do is check you have enough disk space to perform the backup. if you do then change the maint plan to do a transaction log backup of just one database, then if successful change the database to a different one. this way you will single out the database with the issue.

• Hi John

Iam sure that I have enough  space on the disk to which iam doing the t log back up.

thankyou

pavan posani 

• hi pavan,

can u pls let me know the result of job history and also the error log info?

• Hi Deepak

This is the message which iam getting when the job is failed in the job history

Date  6/11/2007 6:57:39 AM

Log  Job History (User Data Bases (larger) Greater than 25 gb.T log back up)

Step ID  0

Server  KZO-SQLCLUP1\WHPL_QA1

Job Name  User Data Bases (larger) Greater than 25 gb.T log back up

Step Name  (Job outcome)

Duration  00:00:05

Sql Severity  0

Sql Message ID  0

Operator Emailed  

Operator Net sent  

Operator Paged  

Retries Attempted  0

The job failed.  The Job was invoked by User NA\claytm.  The last step to run was step 1 (T log back up).  NOTE: Failed to notify 'DBA' via email.

Thankyou

pavan posani

• Hi Pavan,

can u pls send the errorlog and sqlagentlog output when the backup was failed ???...in the error log it will be clearly specified wat happened @backup time...also if nothing is specified in it u can send the screenshot of maintenance plan configuration

• Hi deepak

I resolved the problem actually that is a very simple mistake that i have done,in the t log back up task in the maintennace plan has not been enabled i noticed it later and i enabled it and they are running fine . Iam so sorry to trouble you

Any way thanks a lot for your help and very quick response.

Actually in my environoment they are planning to implement database mirroing and if u have any experience or links to study about this please send me.Iam a real fresher to this environoment please help me out

By any chance if you are in United states please give me your phone number(if u dont mind)

thankyou

pavan posani

• Hi Pavan,

You are most welcome......pls refer the following links for DB Mirroring,

http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/8/5/f8520d64-f109-4111-b0b0-51f1f6d2d220/ProSQLServer2005_Ch15_ForTechEd.pdf

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2005/dbmirror.mspx

By the way i reside in chennai,my email id is deepak_rangarajan@yahoo.com. Feel free to contact,ill do my best to help u

• Hi Deepak

Thanks a lot

bye

pavan posani

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply